Bus netnaming limitation

Hi,

I just discovered a nasty netnaming limitation for busses in KiCad 5 (they must be a number).
In KiCad 6 will it be possible to use “normal” netnames in busses?

For example, an SPI bus has usually SCK, MOSI, MISO, CS. Doesn’t make sense to use SPI:0,1,2,3 etc.

Another example, an EKG patientcable connector has pins with the following netnames:
V1, V2, V3, V4, V5, V6, LA, RA, LL, RL.
If I use a bus like ECG:0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 how is one suppused to keep track of what is what?

Thanks.

This problem is solved in the new version of KiCAD. You can try the 5.99 nightly build version, or wait for the official V6 release version.

Thank you Sam.

Better to wait for V6.1.

Related to this, I do not really understand the Bus naming in KiCad.
Naming all signals in a bus seems very redundant to me and prone to error.

Why not just use a generic name for a bus (Either local, global or Hierarchical Label), and then signals get added to the bus by connecting to the bus. This would also give the bus entries a real purpose.

It would then also be nice to edit, (or at least view) the “Bus Properties”, and this would at least give a list of names of the signals in the bus.

Am I missing something and is there a logical and valid reason for this, or would it be a good idea for a feature request on gitlab?

1 Like

In case you mean that your solution will grab the netname of the signal (e.g. SPI1_MOSI) you want to connect and add it to the bus, I fully agree.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.