Bugs in thru hole pad visibility?

I can’t explain my self how the visibility of thru holes work at the bottom of the board. It looks like a bug.
This for example

I need some parts to be in the bottom/solder side of the board. But holes from top/component side were not visible. Then I could not hide a couple of them. Like the screen capture above.

PS Is it possible to have different pad sizes on the top and bottom of a thru hole pin.

A better picture I hope

I can’t explain my self how the visibility of thru holes work at the bottom of the board. It looks like a bug. This for example.

What exactly is the bug? It’s not obvious which part of the picture offends you.

Some guessing: the 3 purple pad-outlines?
You have switched off all layers (except the edge.cuts board-outline) in the appearance-panel. So the only graphic is the green board outline.
If you want to point to the 3 purple pad-outlines: these are only visible because the footprint PS1 is selected. Selected items remain visible despite changing the layer-setting on the appearance-panel. To get rid of these 3 holes: clear selection (ESC or click on empty space).

Is it possible to have different pad sizes on the top and bottom of a thru hole pin.

Not with easy setting on a dialog, but on principle: yes.
In the footprint-editor place a SMD-Pad (top or copper-side, you decide) next to (or better: directly above) the THT-Pad which should get a bigger surface.
Both pads (THT-pad and smd-pad) must have the same pad-number. Than Kicad merges both into one copper-area.
So you can modify top/bottom pad separately.

OK.

I had only solder side layer visible. And I tried to work with solder side parts, but it was difficult because I could not see the solder side pads of PTH parts. And then I couldn’t turn off even that last part.
Or to say it differently, solder side view should show solder side pads of PTH parts.

I don’t like it when I accidentally select parts from invisible layers. That makes working with one layer difficult.

Use high contrast mode.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.