Bugs and improper UI in Kicad 8

In Kicad 8.0.1, there’s a bug in tuning differential pair. Whenever I open the properties of differential pair length tuning to set the required length, the cursor stops in PCB editor mode. It works well again if I open the Task manager window.
And I literally don’t link the footprint assignment tool in Kicad 8. It should be opened in full window mode as it was in Kicad 7. It’s very inconvenient to find and assign footprint in small window.
And there are many footprint libraries that itself has errors. And also, not all the libraries have 3D models available. If you’re giving default libraries that are unchangeable then it should be error free and all of them must have 3D models.

I’m not using KiCad libraries but there are certainly a way to report a bug in libraries to library team.

Based only on what I have read from time to time at forum. Even footprints don’t have 3D model they in most cases have defined a link to it. So by just copying the 3D model into right place you probably can add it to footprint. Even folder with 3D models is ‘system only’ there is probably a way to copy there a file.
I suppose that all 3D model paths are bused on some common variable that you can modify pointing to any selected by you folder to which you can copy all KiCad 3D models and then this folder will not be protected by system so you will be able to put there your 3D models.

According to what I have read at forum problem with 3D models available from part manufacturers is that they are not allowed to be distributed with Open Source program.

I am using only my libraries to which I copy KiCad footprints making them at that moment editable. I think it is the best approach if you need to modify footprints.

In Kicad 8.0.1, there’s a bug in tuning differential pair.

Please report this with a good description and extensive reproduction steps on gitlab. Use the builtin “Help–>Report bug” function as this automatically opens a gitlab issue and prefills at least the needed “version information” section.
If I can follow your description I will confirm the bug (albeit I’m not really familiar with the length tuning, I’m more into power electronics and big currents).

footprint assignment tool in Kicad 8. It should be opened in full window mode

On my system the window “footprint chooser” (it’s best to use the original kicad description strings) opens with nearly full window size. And the window retains the dialog sizes between closing and subsequent opening - so no complain from my side.
If this is not the case for you then this could be a bug. Or depend on the operating system.

Same is valid for the “Assign Footprints” dialog (which is invoked fom Tools-menu), which also retains the dialog size if these size is changed.

And there are many footprint libraries that itself has errors. … If you’re giving default libraries that are unchangeable then it should be error free

Mistakes happen.
And your request (error free) is not reasonable. No one is able to to deliver always and ever error free work. There are more than 10000 symbols and >= 14000 footprints - it’s impossible to have all of them error free.
But if you encounter “many footprint libraries” have errors: that’s not what I see, the majority of footprints is good. Where do you see the errors?

If you’re giving default libraries that are unchangeable then … all of them must have 3D models.

“must” is a harsh requirement. And why? Many users don’t even use the 3D feature (or only seldom) - where is the benefit for these users to have fewer footprints with complete 3D model?

Make the window bigger. Cover the whole screen if you wish.

Please report the footprints you find problematic. They will then be fixed.

This has always been the case, just like symbol and footprint libraries are incomplete

You have to find, or make, suitable 3D images and attach them to the footprints.

If you could modify supplied libraries, every library update would destroy your modifications.
If you want to modify something in a library, copy that item to a personal library and do as you like.

Perhaps you will contribute some time and effort into helping with the libraries in this voluntary, free open source software, instead of just complaining and demanding.

4 Likes