BUG: Updating PC board does not work

I just made a small change my schematic and tried updating the layout. But the PCB has not changed. U16 pins 7 and 8 should be shorted.

This is layout after Tools/Update PCB from schematic. (No change). U16 pins 7 and 8 are not connected.

This is KiCad ver: Application: KiCad (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.5), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.82.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.12

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19042), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: May 3 2022 00:36:16
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.79.0
OCC: 7.6.0
Curl: 7.82.0-DEV
ngspice: 36
Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Edit: Tools/Clean up tracks et Vias helped, but the PCB is still not ok.

And I needed to check ratsnest settings, to make them visible
Edit: Only important thing in this thread is how unfinished and illogical it is to use KiCad.

???
KiCad does not draw your PCB for you, it only shows the ratsnest (when it’s turned on), and it shows net labels.

I think both pad 7 and 8 show the same net name, but I can’t be sure from the low resolution screenshot:

Pad 7 seems to show net name:

Net-(R18-Pad2)

The last number does not look like a 1. Also, if you follow the track from U16_pad7 then that net is labeled +5V. KiCad does not add nor remove tracks by itself. The user is responsible for that, and this is by design. It is not a bug.

I (and most users probably) would not even want KiCad to do such things by itself. It leads to extra work. I’ve heared several complaints about eagle, which apparently removes copper tracks from the PCB when a connection is removed on the schematic, and then you want to make a similar connection on the schematic (for example replacing a diode with an LED) and the whole PCB track is gone and you have to draw it again.

KiCad does not do such things, and if you forget to fix it, always run DRC as a last step before creating Gerbers. DRC will catch such errors and many more.

3 Likes

KiCad is more like a unfinished tool, full of unexpected tricks

Well, not really. But if you say so…

Some people blame the software if they can’t use it properly. You can always pay for a licence for some commercial EDA software and see if it behaves as you want it to.

It’s OK to discuss about deficiencies of KiCad here in constructive tone. But “unfinished tool, full of unexpected tricks” isn’t constructive and doesn’t encourage any positive response from other users or developers.

10 Likes

I agree, and this thread could be removed

Did you save your schematic after the change?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.