Bug? Trace routing ignores clearances

I’m having issues where on a tight array of wide TO-92 footprints, trace clearances are not honored.

I’ve this on 3 different projects (2 from scratch specifically to test this with default library parts), tested on 7.0.5 and 7.0.6 as well as on a windows and linux machine.

Has anyone else been able to replicate this? Any good workarounds? (other than “carefully route” :sweat_smile: )

thanks for your time

Video: Bug? Trace routing ignores clearances - YouTube

Clearances can be set at a board level but also at a footprint level, this thread might help:

Thanks for your reply!

The pads in question have “Clearance Overrides and Settings” set to 0.

Board configuration: Clearances set to 1mm, still have issues (as per video, note how clearance rings indicate the required clearance, then as I move around, it tries to route around it, but in some cases ignores it?, it’s when it ignores it: that’s happening very often and is the issue).

Can you share the wole project?

Sure thing. Original project is proprietary, however I have created a new project to demonstrate.

I have simply placed two BC557 transistors, assigned them footprint: Package_TO_SOT_THT:TO-92_Wide

When playing around with routing, I can replicate the problem.

Zip file cannot be attached as I am new forum user. Please download using this onedrive link: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

You are now a “basic user” and should be able to attach. Please try.

1 Like

DemoProject.zip (17.1 KB)

1 Like

your original video (and the track-stub to the left of Q2-pad3 of your example-project) shows a bug. The clearance in the video is most time respected, but sometimes inbeetween the track goes to close to the pad. I have seen this behaviour before (see issue PNS-router: produces tracks with clearance error (#14659) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab). After the fix the routing worked well for me (until now).

With your example project I can again reliable reproduce the clearance violation. For reproduction:

• grid set to 1.0mm
  • it’s important to use only slow mouse-movements
  • start routing from Q2-pad2, move 2mm to the left (straight below Q2-pad3)
  • than slowly move mouse upwards - you will get a point where the clearance is violated.

If you want you could open a new gitlab issue. Add the video (embedded in the issue, not as youtube-link), the example project and a good description.

1 Like

Thank you for the information and reproduction steps mf_ibfeew.
I have opened a ticket: Trace routing ignores clearances (#15162) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

4 Likes

Seems to be OK upto and including 0.5mm but greater than that it goes wrong.

With smaller “Minimum clearance” it get’s harder to provoke the clearance-violation, but I was able to create one with “Minimum clearance”==0.4mm (needed playing with finer grid and careful mouse.movement). I think the bug is buried in the router-code, the minimum clearance parameter makes it only harder/easier to discover.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.