Bug: PCBNew: Changing Track Width through "Edit Track & Via Properties" in 6.0rc1 ignores completely DRC (no such behavior in 5.1.12)

Hi everyone!

There is a long time bug / odd behavior that exists since I began testing 5.99 a year ago - and it still exists in 6.0rc1.
If you change a track width in “Edit Track & Via Properties” in 5.1.12, it will change only the segments, where it does not violate DRC - and give you a warning if it could not change one or several segments because of a DRC violation (normal, expected behavior)

If you do this in 6.0rc1 (actually, I saw this bug way before now in 5.99!), it will modify every segment without regard to the DRC and without error message / notification whatsoever.

To show you the behavior in comparison I created an identic project in 5.1.12 and 6.0rc1 (NB: The /TEST1 Net Trace is divided into several segments, so KiCad can choose to widen some and not others).

Here the behavior in 5.1.12:

Here, the behavior on the same circuit in 6.0rc1:

If this behavior is intended or dependent on an option, I have yet to find this setting in the software.

My Kicad 6.0rc1 version:
Application: KiCad PCB Editor (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.0-rc1-249-g84cfa052a1), release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.1.5
	libcurl/7.78.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19043), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
	Date: Nov 30 2021 00:00:22
	wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
	Boost: 1.76.0
	OCC: 7.5.0
	Curl: 7.78.0-DEV
	ngspice: 35
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Alexander aka @hwreverse

Did you add this to the Bug tracker on GitLab?

Hi @hwreverse

This forum is a great place to discuss bugs, but if you want them fixed, reporting on Gitlab is a MUST.

@hwreverse reported it here https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/9900

1 Like

If you check the discussion on Gitlab, apparently, it is by design…

I post on the forum and on Gitlab because I wanted to have a discussion on this too with maybe a broader audience.

3 Likes

Hello @hwreverse,

I couldn’t find your report on Gitlab. I hadn’t expected it to be closed so quickly.

I approve of your comments on Gitlab.

2 Likes

Sorry. I was designing against the clock (had to finish a quite complex board before the corresponding STM32 microcontroller ran out at JLC (again). But I did it. Took me some time though, more than I like to admit…

Anyway, as promised, I posted the Feature Request on this issue:

Feature Request: Implement a “Set selected tracks to max where possible” option on future Track & Via bulk editing (#10012) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.