Bug in nightly eeschema?

Hi,

I have just tested eeschema of below beta version.
I have added a component, added some connections and no-cons.

I find, when placing tracks or no-cons to component pins, they won’t snap to the pins but may get placed slightly off, in which case ERC reports a missing connection.

Have I missed to set a “magnetic pin” option or is this a bug?

Tom

Version info:

Application: KiCad

Version: (5.99.0-3867-ga534f24fb6), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0

Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Oct 8 2020 11:16:26
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.73.0
OCE: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.71.0
ngspice: 32
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I’m not up on the capabilities of the v6 pre-releases (v5.99 nightlies), but I thought "magnetic pin"s was a PCBNew feature, not an EESchema feature. A long standing limitation of EESchema is there hasn’t been any sort of object snap so the general advice is to only change grid for text and annotation placements if desired. Keep to a 0.1 or 0.05 grid for electrical placements (components, wires, no-connects, busses, etc).

Snapping has been added to 5.99. But because it’s a new feature it may have bugs. Please report it, but describe the situation accurately and ideally provide an example project snippet and a screencast.

Nice. I knew it was coming eventually but had forgotten if it stayed in the v6 roadmap or was pushed off into the v7 roadmap.

I’m using the latest nightly build (25-Oct). I’m getting random wire placement when I presss “w”, even when the mouse is positioned over a pin. The wire starts at a random position in the sheet. I’ll try and get some screen shots later tonight.

Actually, with the latest nightlies you don’t even need to use “W” if “Preferences / Eeschema / Editing options / Automatically start wires on junctions and unused anchors” is set. When you hover a pin, the cursor changes and you can draw a wire directly.

1 Like

Gosh that feature tempts to update from my present nightly install. I think my present one is from August.

To be specific, @craftyjon just reworded this setting “Automatically start wires on unconnected pins”.

Yeah “unused anchors” was a bit strange wording for non-programmers, and we removed the “start from a junction” behavior because it meant that you could no longer select junctions easily with this feature turned on

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.