Bug: Eeschema, localized fields

Version: KiCAD 5.1.12
Source: ppa:kicad/kicad-5.1-releases

The translation for the fields are mixed (explanation below) due to incomplete localization.

I couldn’t find this bug in the German Windows version.
I found this bug in the German version, but I think every localization is affected.

The german word for “Reference” is “Referenz”, the german word for “Value” is “Wert”.

Beside a placed component the German fields “Referenz” and “Wert” are shown. When I edit the component (shortcut E), then there are also shown the fields “Referenz” and “Wert” (German), not “Reference” and “Value” (English).
When I click on the button “Edit symbol fields” for the field matrix, there is written “Reference” and “Value” (English) in the header. The rows contain the content of “Referenz” and “Value”, but this is a copy of the German fields. The german rows are missing, but I can add the fields “Referenz” and “Wert” and they contain the same information (as a copy). After saving the changes, the fields “Reference” and “Value” are added to every component.

• Changing the field in the schematic or the component properties results into a changed German field, the new English fields are not affected.
  • Changing the english rows in the fields matrix results in into a changed English field, the German fields are not affected.

When I open the field matrix, the German rows are never visible, also when both German and English fields are existing. To change the information in the German fields “Referenz” and “Wert” there, I have to add the fields everytime I open the field matrix. It is not possible to delete the added english fields.

I hope my explanation is comprehensible.

First question: Is there any possibility that this bug get fixed in future? Where are bugs reported?
Second question: Where is the translation located in Linux? I want to try to fix this myself, but I cant find any translation files.

Hello and welcome,

Yes, if reported.

For 5.1.12 go to Help / About Kicad / Information / Bug tracker.
There you will find the link to Gitlab.

If you have the time and interest, you could check 6.0. RC to see if that has the same problem.
6.0 RC is where most of the development time is being spent.
6.0 RC installs alongside 5. 1.12 with no interference between programs.

I believe the translations are packaged with Kicad.

@Takeshi You may also want to check this thread:

Supposedly the German translation is done, but if you want to review it and make suggestions I think the directions for doing such are in one of the replies in that message thread.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.