Btw, using v5 now for 3 days (after some hiatus) and

Here is my current one not as nice, but use combination of KiCad versions 5.x and 4.0. I hope make the spirit of KiCad more higher by show some pic :-).

(EDITED: I upload better image for this board)

4 Likes

As long as we are having di… uhm I mean pic measuring contest, here is one of mine:

Done in v4, ported to v5.

9 Likes

I had already admitted to such:

Yet, AFAIKR, I’ve only posted one OP on the issue, and the rest of the broken record comments were in reply to new users posting about the same topic. Prefer I just reply to a new user and tell them to use the search feature to see that it has already been addressed?

I like to try to make new KiCad users feel welcome to the forum if their post is considerate and polite to the existing forum members. New members are not yet exposed to the “broken record” aspect of my reply.

Respectfully, I am the one paying for my data. And while I don’t always get my KiCad version shopping right, I do still feel that I have overall been given a significant bargain with this totally awesome EDA tool.

There is also some history where development builds have been created without all the extras that make the download file so large. In fact, I would now discuss the idea that the nightlies now never contain anything other than the core program; unless that feature is something to be tested (of course).

It seems that I could benefit from “one dialog to rule them all”.

This post was just an attempt to show a closer look from my side of the keyboard.

Everyone have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 Like

You DO realize that it is posts like this that make me want to spend my Data on the newest shiny toys in KiCad! So, some of my gripe about file size is because people like you post how much greatness is in the works!

And, welcome back!

Thanks. :grin:
Admittedly I never really left, but didn’t had a use case for KiCAD itself in the last couple months.
So just kept to my duties as mod/admin here. :man_mechanic:

@qu1ck & @nhatkhai, nice pics. Compared to what was possible in the past one really can see the progress that KiCAD makes.

1 Like

I am starting a new thread to discuss which are the safe pre 5.1 Nightly versions

1 Like

I’d love to run 5.0.2 release and nightlies (updated through Git instead of multiple 1GB downloads) on my Windows machine without conflicts. Documentation on the process was hard to find and conflicts seem likely based on what searches have revealed so far.

In ubuntu one simply installs both of them directly via the package manager. Works out of the box. So … time to switch to the dark side perhaps?

1 Like

I liked the render, very complex CAD integration.
Just wondering, below R1 there is a track and then below a filled ( ground?) zone but it looks cut. Is that on propose or is some render issue?

Render is fine, there are separate ground zones.

1 Like

@kammutierspule point out is that @qu1ck example have floating metal as ground. Which may be ok, but in sensitive application, it will be a antenna pickup think from the area and amplify it to all the traces/signal on the circuit.

ah no :stuck_out_tongue: it was a really concern on 3D render only, but nice electrical observation too :wink:

Yes, V5 is a massive improvement over V4; no longer a chore to be dreaded, but a creative tool to be enjoyed. Just the little things like copy and paste and more consistent behavior across modules make life so much more pleasant. Still on 5.0.0 but thinking about catching up to the latest soon.

1 Like

Agree with <~100 parts boards - Excepting crashing more often, .

Good looking board. I think it was on EEVBlog a kickstarter product was reviewed and the BNC contacts was so close you could not mate more than one connector at a time. If those are BNC on your board, have you considered this?

Yes, I have accounted for clearance to connect two p6100 probes, it’s tight but they fit.

To check something I got nightly from 1.1.2019 and installed on separate PC. As I am at the way of makeing my own footprint libraries and that nightly behaves much better in that then 5.0.2 (I were using till day before yesterday) and I read in some other thread that some serious bug introduced 20.12 was fixed 30.12 I decided to install it also at my work PC. Tree of footprints on the left and no more concept of active library. Great! I believe nigtlies are now rather save to use as close to 5.1 release.

1 Like

I think the question is “Can your fingers fit” not “Can the probes” fit.

No, HSPalm referred to eevblog video review of a scope/data acquisition board that had bnc connectors so close that you couldn’t use adjacent ones even with the narrowest probes that Dave could find.
Why would you want fingers to fit between bncs? You just need enough clearance to attach things to them and there is plenty on other sides.

Because you somehow need to have space to rotate the collar of the connector. (I hate that the red pitaya has its connectors this close. There is enough space for the probe it self even with the 10:1 stuff. But it is nearly impossibly to disconnect the probes in the field.)

Remember: A connector is easy to connect in the laboratory. If you have dirt, corrosion, handicapped user (either by their body or by the environment), … then this becomes a different story. It is better your pcb is 1 or 2 cm wider when it gets a better user expirience. (At least to anyone who ever wants to use this part. Not necessarely to your sales or marketing people who want it cheap and therefore in the smallest possible form factor.)

1 Like