Btw, using v5 now for 3 days (after some hiatus) and

coohool. Now we’re cooking. Gotta donate some money now.

Is Nightly likely to be stable from now on until 5.1 release? It did go a bit wild soon after 5.0 release

1 Like

Nightlies are quite stable since v5. v5.1 is not allowed to have major new features. (other than the gal port of eeschema)
The only changes that happen are to the user interface. The backend only gets bugfixes that are then also ported to v5.0.x

At least this is how i understand the current state of things. For more details we might want to ask the devs.

Version 5.1 is already in feature freeze since 9.12.2018

GUI string freeze will be announced as soon as wayne returns from holiday (probably next week).

Things like this still happen

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg38741.html
1 Like

Mistakes can happen at any time. Wayne was very vocal about that in this case and it was resolved very fast. (This is one of the risks that will never go away when using nightlies. They are after all development snapshots.)

There is a difference between “A mistake broke something” and “Get in a few more features before feature freeze”. The later was the reason why nighlies near the end of the v5 development cycle where extremely unstable. That is why i stated that nightly is comparably stable since the v5 release. (And especially now that we are in feature freeze.)

1 Like

These little things never happened before in the nightlies that were recommended for new users.

I have limited data bandwidth to keep trying every new tweak to the next 1+ Gig download; and this text is just like a broken record at this point in time.

Sprig, with bandwidth caps, you are the last person who should consider using Nightly builds. There are very few new features in 5.1, it is more there to make the Linux version play nicely with recent distributions.
Right now nobody has a list of recommended Nightly versions

Did you start a recent nightly?
There are loads of changes to the user interface. Including many things i would consider new features.

Some examples are:

• All tools:
    • new and improved settings management (one dialog to rule them all.)
    • library managers reachable from the main window
  • Symbol editor:
    • the pin table is now editable (see my how to make a symbol tutorial)
    • better editing of alias settings (everything is in one dialog now)
  • footprint editor:
    • now looks like the symbol editor (No more active library nonsense. Tree-view on the left)
    • allows additions to previously forbidden layers (usr.cmts, usr.dwgs, eco1, eco2, …) Sadly edge cuts is still not included.
    • Endpoint snap for lines
  • pcb_new:
    • Single board setup dialog under the file menu (consolidates all things that where in many different dialogs until recently.)
    • update from schematic now has the same settings available as netlist import (But still better default settings for most cases)
    • DRC check for edge cuts (Checks if it is a closed outline. Even points to the place where the problem is.)
    • endpoint snap for polyline tool
  • 3d viewer:
    • if a footprint has multiple models assigned one can now control the visibility of them separately.

And i am sure there are many more (These are the ones i already noticed just by using nightlies. I did not really use v5.0 for long so it might be that things i take for granted are not really in v5.0.)

5 Likes

Sprig,
You have complained about big download size so many times, you could have learned how to compile KiCad yourself by now.
That way you can just pull tiny source changes from git and never download another KiCad binary again. Just invest into initial checkout of git repo (about 2GB).
Seriously, you should consider doing that if 1Gb download eats sizable portion of your data cap. If you use Win or linux I can help with setting that up if you encounter issues, just open another thread.

Or you can wait until someone finally finishes the work to split the installer into separate pieces but I don’t think it is a priority for devs so you might have to wait a while.

2 Likes

So far so good, ready to go to the fab I’d say :slight_smile:

Those new free vias are the goods.

8 Likes

Nice two PCB with - 5 switch regulators :slight_smile: . The output cap may be hard to reword if it got burn out/decade. Nice art :+1:

Those are Infineon BTS 6133D power switches, high side, Rdson 8 mOhms, 8A/38V, they make them unchanged for 10 years now with nothing appearing that has better specs.
The small cyan colored 1812’ers are 90V GDTs.

This is a power monitoring and controlling board for a centralized supply of electric loads, well, half of it. The brains will plug into the 24 pin header and provide all the coms interfaces for remotely being able to switch the outputs and monitor power draw/faults. But right now I only need the muscle part - so this goes first.

There also are current sensors on there from Allegro (ACS70331) that ‘limit’ the monitoring to 5A per channel (the BTS also has a curent sense output, but that one is not accurate at those low currents I need to know about) and the input plug can handle 30A ‘only’ as well. So overall not a high power device, but probably 5-10 times more than what it will ever be used for in the application intended right now - its good to have head-room :slightly_smiling_face:
The ‘hard’ part will be the brains and software anyway…

1 Like

Here is my current one not as nice, but use combination of KiCad versions 5.x and 4.0. I hope make the spirit of KiCad more higher by show some pic :-).

(EDITED: I upload better image for this board)

4 Likes

As long as we are having di… uhm I mean pic measuring contest, here is one of mine:

Done in v4, ported to v5.

9 Likes

I had already admitted to such:

Yet, AFAIKR, I’ve only posted one OP on the issue, and the rest of the broken record comments were in reply to new users posting about the same topic. Prefer I just reply to a new user and tell them to use the search feature to see that it has already been addressed?

I like to try to make new KiCad users feel welcome to the forum if their post is considerate and polite to the existing forum members. New members are not yet exposed to the “broken record” aspect of my reply.

Respectfully, I am the one paying for my data. And while I don’t always get my KiCad version shopping right, I do still feel that I have overall been given a significant bargain with this totally awesome EDA tool.

There is also some history where development builds have been created without all the extras that make the download file so large. In fact, I would now discuss the idea that the nightlies now never contain anything other than the core program; unless that feature is something to be tested (of course).

It seems that I could benefit from “one dialog to rule them all”.

This post was just an attempt to show a closer look from my side of the keyboard.

Everyone have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 Like

You DO realize that it is posts like this that make me want to spend my Data on the newest shiny toys in KiCad! So, some of my gripe about file size is because people like you post how much greatness is in the works!

And, welcome back!

Thanks. :grin:
Admittedly I never really left, but didn’t had a use case for KiCAD itself in the last couple months.
So just kept to my duties as mod/admin here. :man_mechanic:

@qu1ck & @nhatkhai, nice pics. Compared to what was possible in the past one really can see the progress that KiCAD makes.

1 Like

I am starting a new thread to discuss which are the safe pre 5.1 Nightly versions

1 Like

I’d love to run 5.0.2 release and nightlies (updated through Git instead of multiple 1GB downloads) on my Windows machine without conflicts. Documentation on the process was hard to find and conflicts seem likely based on what searches have revealed so far.

In ubuntu one simply installs both of them directly via the package manager. Works out of the box. So … time to switch to the dark side perhaps?

1 Like