BOM export to XML broken?

I’m using KiCad V.5.1.8 under Ubuntu18.04.
If I export my BOM from Eeschema to an XML file (e.g. option “bom_html_with_advanced_grouping”)
the XML file cannot be displayed properly by a WebBrowser. FireFox just shows the text, Chromium displays an error: “This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.”
You can easily reproduce this problem: Create a new schematic, place any component and export the BOM to a XML file(any option).
Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

XML file itself is not indended for displaying. It is the database of specific format.
I don’t know what the “bom_html_with_advanced_grouping” plugin does, but if it does not output HTML file,you should not expect nice display in web browser.
Personally I can recommend KiBom plugin which I’ve recently installed. It can generate HTML BOMs in a flexible way.

This Link may help. There is some confusion about BOM’s and using them - it took me a bit of testing/playing-around to understand it but, once understood, it was easy… The Important part in the link is to understand how to implement the BOM into the Net panel and use it…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.