I followed the link you provided and followed the instructions, choosing the “html grouped by value”, as suggested. I double-clicked on that, and a new window popped up showing me my selection; as soon as I clicked “OK”, the window went away, and KiCad froze up again.
I can still do other things on the computer, but I’ll have to do another hard shutdown in order to get KiCad to quit.
This was done from within eeschema, as were the other attempts.
Is an xml file created in the project directory? Is it finished or does it seem like the generation ended sometime in the middle? (the last entry of an xml file is always the closing tag of the first opening tag. For a kicad bom xml it is )
If the xml file is generated fully:
Is a html file created? Is the generation finished? (does it end with )
Ok, I’m obviously doing something wrong with the install, I think.
I trashed v5 and installed v4, and now I can’t get CvPcb to populate the right hand window with the components. So, I got farther in v5 than v4, lol.
In v5, the right pane in CvPcb wasn’t populated with components until I clicked the Project Specific Libraries tab in the configure footprints settings (the Global tab was populated with paths, but the component names wouldn’t show up in the right pane). I was able to manually populate the right window after some trial and error, individually copying the paths to the Project Specific Libraries.
But now, I can’t seem to manually enter the paths into the Project Specific tab.
So, I’m now reading the CvPcb manual, which I don’t mind but…
…I’ve been explicitly following the tutorial, and it should, well, just work, right?
Edit: FWIW, there were a lot of IO errors when I generated the net list*, but the tutorial said to ignore them and just click OK…
Ok, I’ve had some time to attack this again, and the program is mostly working. I can skip the BoM and pretty much do everything else without problems. As an experiment, I copied and pasted the command which KiCad is supposed to do automatically, but wouldn’t (I manually added .csv). I didn’t try to add any plugins, but simply pasted the command and clicked “Generate”…and this is what was returned:
xsltproc -o “/Users/richardrusso/Documents/tutorial1/tutorial1.csv” “/home//kicad/eeschema/plugins/bom2csv.xsl” “/Users/richardrusso/Documents/tutorial1/tutorial1.xml”
Check your command. It points to the file that is reported as missing.
I would suggest you work through a tutorial before you try to fix the problem by trial and error. One such tutorial is found in the forum FAQ: How to create a bill of materials (BOM)? (already linked above but again for convenience)
If you really want to get your command running then you need to fix the command. Right now it is:
The problem with your command is that the stylesheet file does not exist in the place where you point the command. I would assume that the correct file is found somewhere in the kicad system directory instead of under home. (possibly in the plugins folder)
Thanks for all the help. The BoM generates just fine when run via Pcbnew. Since everything else in KiCad seems to work, I’ll just avoid generating it in Eeschema.
There may come a time when I’d like a fancier BoM, but for now, I’m happy to just have a working program. Since I’m just a hobbyist, what I’d rather not spend what little spare time I have jumping through code hoops.
I’ll try to revisit the issue later on, since I know it’s important for the devs to be able to work out the bugs.