Blind vias show up on all layers when printed

I am wrapping up the first prototype of a new layout. I am using blind vias for the first time. I think I found a minor bug when putting together my board documentation. I usually print my board layers to PDF using the print feature and a print to PDF printer driver. When I was doing that for this project I noticed that my blind vias were showing on every layer of the print. This is only a minor inconvenience as I can plot to PDF instead and they do not show up when using plot. Plot just does not combine the PDF pages into one document, so that adds a little extra work for me.

I can attach some files if needed, but it seems pretty easy to reproduce. In my case I have a 4 layer board, with blind vias from layers 1-2.

I can confirm this on latest Windows Testing
Blind vias from either side and buried vias show on print on all layers
I have raised an issue report

This has been tagged Confirmed, Low priority - nobody makes complex 4+ layer boards from prints, to be fixed in 7.0

1 Like

Thanks for confirming and entering the issue. The low priority makes sense to me.

I used to use layer prints to try to figure out where components would be in the actual casing.
The 3D rendering and STEP export are a better replacement

The 3D rendering tool is very useful on multiple levels, and I always use it for confirming everything from proper footprints, good component placement, manufacturability and legibility of silkscreen.

The prints in this case, are just part of a documentation package that I do for every revision release of my boards. They are not actually used for manufacturing, more for later reference. They are a little bit redundant to the gerbers, but I can share a PDF with someone easier than sharing gerbers.

You can also plot to PDF and that works correctly

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.