BGA vias as part of footprint

All BGA’s will have vias . As usuall the vias put on the PCB instead of the BGA footprint. That seems to be a waist of time to have to do that to very PCB. I have 484 pads that needed vias, its hard to do manually.
Is there any way to do vias in footprint? With standard Kicad tools?Without using third-party scripts or tools? Any automated way?

It’s generally one extra key press during routing, two if you need to change the target layer.

In designs where the top layer is a signal layer then the outer most row or two often don’t need vias.

You may have a design where you want to use TH (through hole) vias where the next person wants to use blind vias. Two footprints?

It certainly wouldn’t make sense for official libs to include vias. But for your own personal libraries, since footprints can’t include tracks or vias, you would have to use small through hole pads and hack the tracks.

V5 might support saving a block of selected components which might be another possibility.

2 Likes

please advice which keys is it?

If I want to use TH,how can I do that? For creation my 484 BGA I used default BGA wizard in footprint editor

Start with the ‘?’ key and look for ‘v’.

In Kicad standard vias are TH vias.

In open gl canvas, the shortcut “v” adds a via to the current trace.
“Shift+Alt+v” adds a blind/buried via. (For a list of possible shortcuts use the “?” shortcut. Or in this case the right click context menu.)

I do not know how it works in legacy as i never used it.

I know that, but how I can add them to footprint in footprint editor or wizard tool for BGA, I dont see such option

Add a th pad with the same pin number as the smd pad you want it to connected to. You also need to add another smd pad (without mask enabled) to connect the “via” to the normal pad.

not sure that Im understand what you mean[quote=“Rene_Poschl, post:7, topic:10083”]
Add a th pad with the same pin number as the smd pad you want it to connected to
[/quote]

all this is manually?
I have 484 pads…

Well re program the wizard you use. Or have a look at https://github.com/pointhi/kicad-footprint-generator

also you can try at

2 Likes

can you explain how to use it? im not familiar with scripts at all.

I did’t mean to imply that it was possible in the footprint editor, but if it was, one footprint would not suite everyone.

What @Rene_Poschl was explaining is that the only way to do this in the footprint editor is to replace the via with an equivalent sized through hole pad (no soldermask layer) with the same pin number as the corresponding pad. Then instead of a track place a similar shaped SMT pad (again with no soldermask layer), also with the same pin number, in order to connect all three pads as one.

Personally I would stop at the “via” and connect them with a track during routing if you really find pressing ‘v’ to be that much extra work.

3 Likes

@HiGreg could you please have a look at this thread?
thx

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.