BGA fan out design with 6 layers Pcb?

Helo Kicad Team member,

Does anyone have an experience with BGA fan out design with 6 layers PCB ?
Can it be autorouted ?
How ?

Thanks

It depends on the grid pitch and the amount of balls.

I routed a 0.8mm 500 ball BGA using dogbone Style. But i doubt the autorouter will be able to do that as efficient as a human can do it…

But why don’t you give it a try?

1 Like

It s 346 balls bga, how can I make blind via in kicad? And define the rules
for auto routing?
Thanks

Kind regards,
Riko

a blind via is created with shift+alt+v while laying a track. You have to have the rule enabled to allow blind/burried vias.

I have no idea where to find rules for the autorouter. I haven’t used it in years.

How can I make a rule for manual route? Thanks

Kind regards,
Riko

In the design rules dialog under the tab global design rules.

It’s better if I make fanout on component footprint isn’t it?
Do you reckon?
Regards

Kind regards,
Riko

You can’t create ‘tracks’ in footprint, only pads.
And what do you safe?
You use the same fanout in different boards?
If not, then you have to do the fanout over again for another board (=create another special footprint) and to top it of, the tools to lay tracks are not there.

Just try doing it in PCBnew.

I see, I thought, I can make it on footprint creator,
after all I will use the same footprint and fanout repeatedly so I was thinking it.
Is there any automatic way making a fan out ?
Thanks

IMHO - it’s still your job as a layouter to do this… the autorouter won’t know all the stuff that’s in the datasheet of the BGA one has to obey to make the IC work for the task you have planned.
KiCAD’s net rules aren’t sophisticated enough to hand this over to some code yet.
If I’d to guess we’re 10 years away from that minimum.
And then you open that can of worms of machines designing & building machines :wink:

If you want to reuse the layout/fanout create a fan-out template project and bolt anything that differs from project to project onto that (add hierarchical sheets, do extra layout then) or create a carrier board that you plug into other projects like you ‘plug’ a GPS or GSM module into them.

2 Likes

Regarding BGAs in general, you may find this site helpful: https://www.multi-circuit-boards.eu/en/pcb-design-aid/bga-pcb-design-for-ball-grid-array.html

Regards,
Marco

1 Like

Thanks a lot for that information.
How about creating micro via and blind via with kicad, any infos?

/*****
Kernel 3.08
Kind regards,
Riko Ho
*****/

http://docs.kicad.org/stable/en/pcbnew.html#_netclasses

under 8.3.3./4.

To place them look into the hotkey menu [shift]+[?]

1 Like

Take a look at this project:

It’s working for me for BGA fanout. It’s a python plugin…