Best way to report symbol errors?

I was checking my library of ‘custom’ symbols to see if there were suitable equivalents in the 7.0 libraries, and I see one serious error persists.

I did search and file an issue over at Github, but the process to submit updated symbols was just a hair above my pay grade, given all the other things I need to take care of over here.

In a nutshell:

U1 is an MC6821 Peripheral Interface Adapter.

U2 is what the library has for the MC6840 Programmable Timer Module.

U3 is the correct symbol which I had to create from the datasheet.

Or am I mistaken?

KiCad moved from github to gitlab several years ago. There are probably still some repositories on github, but those are probably forks or unmaintained copies.

M6840 seems to be an 28 pin device, and there does indeed seem to be a 40 pin device under that name in KiCad’s libraries.

Yes, it looks like a cut and paste error, the symbol for the 6821 has been reused for the 6840. A pull request on the Interface library for the 6840 from your corrected repo is probably the way, but I think even an attached correct 6840 symbol should suffice. I haven’t submitted any requests before so don’t take my word for it.

I’m currently double checking my files for all that require custom symbols - besides cleaning out symbols I don’t need after all, I plan to make a ‘clean’ library with the 6840 and a few other symbols of similar vintage (MC6810, MC6850, 8085, 8155…) that MIGHT be useful for those who use KiCAD to document vintage electronics.

Feel free to adapt the 8085 and 8155 symbols I made for myself some time back. Or ignore.

8085.kicad_sym (7.8 KB)
8155.kicad_sym (7.8 KB)

The best way to report an error short of actually submitting a fix for it is to create an issue in the appropriate repository.

The library repositories are listed here: KiCad Libraries · GitLab as Paul linked to above.

Since this is a symbol issue, you’d click KiCad Symbols: KiCad / KiCad Libraries / KiCad Symbols · GitLab

You need to be logged in. You can either create an account with Gitlab, or log in using your existing account at Google, GitHub, etc.

Then you’d click Issues on the left, then New Issue at the top right:

I already raised an issue on this 2 years ago

Reporting issues is fine, but there is a low expectation they will ever be fixed.

Someone has to take the time to make the fix and submit it

1 Like

Ah yes, the usual “it’s the users’ fault because they don’t submit fixes!” That is really disingenuous.

The libraries have about 1500 merge requests outstanding. I could submit an MR, and it will join the other 1500 MRs.

The problem is not because people are failing to submit fixes.

There is no fault going around. I just opened the bug report and of all the affected users, none of them tried to fix it, and also nobody else tried to fix it yet. There isn’t even a MR open.

This has been beaten to death in other threads so it is not really worth getting into a long conversation about here, but while there are a lot of outstanding MRs, a number of them get merged every day. If the MR is accurate, complete, and made easy to review, it will get merged, you just may have to wait a while.

1 Like

retiredfeline: Thank you for those. I’ll file those away for future reference… while they’re different than the ones I made, the schematic for which I needed them is currently very ‘modularized’. If I ever get the spark to work on that group of schematics again and connect all the sections on the same page, I will definitely see if they fit better.

All: Since I see that correcting symbol errors is not a priority, I’ll just let this topic go.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.