Beginners Question - Placing Pad for Soldered Wire

New to KiCAD and I’m using V5.0 under Win10. I’ve managed to make my first schematic but one little thing is puzzling me. Which symbol from the library is the correct one for connecting a soldered in wire to my PCB?

Regards,
Dan

You can use just any connector symbol and attach a footprint.

In the footprint library there is a section ‘Connector_Pin’ with some pre-defines for that kind of purpose.

So far I’m using
Mechanical:MountingHole_Pad with Connection

Regards,
Dan

2 Likes

This question comes up a lot lately: Connecting a 9V Battery

Appreciate the help. I may be off track on my first project by thinking I had to add one on the schematic. I now see where they may be added when designing the PCB. Below is a pic of my first foray into KiCAD. A very basic first attempt.

Regards,
Dan

You add to the schematic and then assign the symbol a footprint for the PCB. Some parts may have a footprint assigned already. Many symbols have more than one choice of footprint like the wire size you wish to use.

EDIT: @jos actually answered your question correctly. I misunderstood (long day) and skipped to the next step. @Rene_Poschl has done a very good job with the FAQ that you see linked at the top of the page and you will find lots of stuff there. Follow the link he provided below.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Dan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.