BAV99 switching diode component

Hi all,

I’ve just got started with KiCad to make some personal project and I would like to know if someone can help me to find a component named BAV99 which is a switching diode.

• Do anyone know if I’ll need to creat a new component or if it’s available in some library? I was not able to find it in the library.
  • What do you think if I use two separate diode and afecting the correct voltage caracteristics to simulate this component if it’s not in the library?

Thanks for your help

For generic diode symbols have a look in the device lib.
All of these symbols start with D_ (I think D_x2_Serial_AKC should be ok for you. Not sure what version of kicad introduced this symbol. It is definitely included in 4.0.6)

I don’t think there is a specialized symbol for it in the diode library. If you want you can copy the generic symbol you like into your own lib, rename it and set the footprint field, description and datasheet information accordingly.
If you are motivated you can add it to this lib via a pull request to the official kicad library repo

1 Like

First be very clear which package variant you want.
The BAV999 is SOT23
BAV99S is SOT363
BAV99W is SOT323
There may be more variations

1 Like

I looked at several datasheets for BAV99’s and none of them included any parameters related to matching the sections. Consequently it’s quite proper to treat the two sections as separate diodes as long as thermal coupling isn’t a factor. (Few SPICE models for diodes - or any device - attempt to model the device’s dynamic thermal behavior. At best, you can specify an ambient temperature.) If you are really serious about circuit simulation you will acquire or create device models representing several performance points on the datasheet, and run simulations with various combinations of BAV99 pairs.

If you can’t get a SPICE model for the BAV99 from one of the manufacturers (Infineon, Diodes Inc, Fairchild, etc) try looking in the files of the LTSpice Yahoo Group at LTSpice User’s Group. If you are only interested in generic behavior in a routine application, a model for the venerable 1N4448 is probably adequate. (The BAV99 is a little faster, and has slightly higher forward voltage.)

Dale

1 Like

Presuming you want the 3 pin dual diode, the symbol is D_x2_Serial_AKC in device.lib, as @Rene_Poschl said.
Use that part and change the Value to BAV99

1 Like

Thanks guys for your help,

@Rene_Poschl, verry helpfull, that component you’ve mentionned (D_x2_Serial_AKC) fits well my need, thanks
@davidsrsb, yes forgot to mention it, the package is SOT23
dchisholm, thanks for your suggestions, as D_x2_Serial_AKC fits well, I’ll continue the project with it
jmtech, thanks for confirmation

Chafik