Based on what criteria , i need to choose my track width?

i am designing one PCB Board of 25mm x 8mm. So can any one suggust me track width, which can serve my purpose?

Have you opened up the PCB Calculator in KiCad? Basically you try to use as wide tracks as possible for any power / current carrying wires and some sane widths for the rest.

Also have a look at the capabilities of the place you’ll be sending your designs. For example, OSH Park use 6 mil (0,1524mm) as a minimum. I try to use 0,2-0,25mm for most signal stuff, it makes QFN footprints easy to route.

thq for your reply. finally, i have choosen 1 mil track for my purpose on calculation.

Can you please give me your email ID because i am an fresher to this PCB designing field, so that i can ask you if have any questions furthur.

Regards,
Anirudh

1mil is much too small for the realities of manufacturing pcbs.

Read that part that Stefan said again.

You are giving the wrong criteria for asking the qustion of track width. The physical size of the board really has no bearing on your track width. A combination of maximum current capacity vs. maximum current requirements, along with the manufacturing capabilities of the vendor that you will be having make the boards for you, along with the density of your design are the major criteria that you need to balance to decide on a track width.

I have opted 1 mil track width because the maximum current that is going to flow in my tracks is around 60 nA only, so the temperature rise is also very low almost negligible.

So, Am i opted right track width according to my requriement? suggust me whether my trackwidth is correct or not?

Regards
Anirudh

Only high-end (read: very pricey) manufacturers will be able to etch PCBs with tracks this narrow. Choose widhts as large as it is practically useful for routing and manufacturing and you’ll be fine.

1 Like