Bad/clumsy thing happened today…

Been sitting today with a project, updating a lot in both a schematics and the corresponding PCB. Then I quit KiCad, like 5 hors later, for lunch or so, which of course asks “save?” and by accident I click NO. Yeah I know, we should always save regularly, that’s since old and that’s also what I tell others, but this time it didn’t happen. The question now is: Did those 5 hours simply got up in smoke?

KiCad 6.0+ makes autosaves, unless you disable that feature. Check inside the <project name>-backups folder inside your project directory. By default it’s every 5 minutes.

2 Likes

Thanks, the autosave function is not disabled, but when looking in that folder only old files are there, from 4 days back. The only “fresh” backup is from the unsaved project I opened like 1 hour ago. So…

Ah. You may want to check this option:

Otherwise it will only make backups each time you manually save…

For next time.

Thanks, yes that was unchecked, but now it’s checked! Good to get it explained. And 5 hours is not much of a loss, compared to a lifetime, let’s start again…

2 Likes

I couldn’t find that dialog box you posted, gkeeth, under Preferences…Preferences.
Where is it?

On the common page.

This is v6

1 Like

Okay, thank you, gkeeth for the extra graphic! I infer that these setttings apply just to the one project, rather than to all projects.

No, they should be global, for all projects.

1 Like

To be clear: the settings to enable backups are global, but when it talks about things like “maximum backups per day” and “maximum total backup size”, those things are per-project.

3 Likes

huh, I actually did not know that.

Haha, be careful so KiCad not will be like Altium, 1000 settings for each part…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.