Autorouting in v5?

Am I to assume this is not a possibility (or perhaps I am overlooking it someplace) in v5?\

Cheers
Chris

Now is “hidden” under File->Export->Specctra DSN and File->Import->Specctra session.

Anyway see the first T-shirt… https://contextualelectronics.com/product-category/apparel/kicad/?orderby=popularity

export to freerouting is now “hidden”. (duplication is removed, the devs had the feeling that people thought freerouting is part of kicad and they have responsibility to maintain it if they keep the direct access button)

the old kicad internal autorouter was removed as it yielded bad results and did not work with the new connectivity algorithm

2 Likes

As a test last night, I did export my board as a Specctra DSN file. Got a hold of FreeRouting and went through the motions and exported the newly routed board, then imported the Specctra session file into PCBNew and it indeed seemed to have worked.

At that point, it was getting late and I was too tired to output to gerber and as a final test and up it to OSH to review how the end product worked.

Again, this was all a test to ensure that if I wanted to use auto routing, it was at least available for me to use.

If this is the “suggested” way to pull off auto routing, then it appears I have done so - otherwise, I’m not quite sure what “hidden” means and if it means what I think it does, can someone tell me how to enable this hidden process. But somehow, I suspect that the way I did this, is probably the way it would be done.

If the latter is correct, please KiCAD folks, don’t totally remove the process as for some of us, auto routing is required at times.

Cheers
Chris

Hidden in this case means that there is no button called “export for freerouting” anymore as that button did the same as the more generic export spectra netlist button. (double effort for the devs with no real benefit to the user other than confusing new users into thinking that freerouting is part of the kicad project.)

1 Like

Ah - so to this end, I appear to have done what was needed to achieve the test results I was looking for.

Thanks a bunch for the guidance and info.

Chris

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.