Assigned Footprints do not save

Hi everyone,
I am stuck with the problem, that when I assign some footprints and hit OK, the next time I open the footprint assignment tool all assigned footprints are gone. Never the less when I assign the footprint in the symbols properties it works fine and saves the assigned footprint.
Do I have to do something special to save the assignment done in the assignment tool?
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Depends on kicad version. In version 5 ok should save the assignment (assuming you truly assigned it such that the footprint now is in the middle column).
In version 4 you need to press save in cvpcb.

Additional info How can i assign a footprint to a symbol?

Thanks for your answer :slight_smile: I have:
Version: (5.1.6-0-10_14), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.54.0 LibreSSL/2.0.20 zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.24.0
Platform: macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G9016), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.72.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.54.0
Compiler: Clang 9.0.0 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=ON
USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

And assigning the footprint I double click the one I want and it appears in the middle row.

And you close that dialog (or application cvpcb) with OK or Apply? And when you open again right away without closing eeschema the changes are gone?

Exactly!! :upside_down_face: … I created a new project and there it works fine. But if I just copy the entire project folder it keeps behaving badly. Is there a way to create a new project and copy everything in there? I have several hierarchical sheets…

After creating a new project and copying all files in there, still same problem :upside_down_face:

Look carefully at your library setup.

If you assign footprint from a custom library that is in the project tree, and you rename or move it, while using an absolute path to that library, you break the project.

1 Like

It is worth trying a 5.1 branch Testing build
Macs are under-tested compared to other OS and there have been many strange bugs.

In the meantime I found out that if I mark several components and assign a footprint, it saves the selection, which brought me through the process of assigning.
As it only behaves weird in this project I guess I will just not worry about it any more…
Thanks a lot for your help!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.