Assign material to imported step file

I’m not sure if these type of questions are tolerated here. I’m aware this is not a strictly kicad related question.

When I download 3d models from manufacturer websites, they are very rough. For example, as far as I know, all the Ampmodu II connectors are missing from kicad libraries (and I’m trying to understand how to contribute) so I downloaded the step file from this page:

https://www.te.com/global-en/product-280384-1.html

but it is rendered as a gray solid, with no distinction among pins and case. I want to assign a different materials to the different parts. I’m using FreeCAD but I cannot understand how to.

The problem is I’m not able to “explode” the solid to select the single parts (pins and case) and then assign the material. I tried Part > Compund > Explode but nothing happens.

Please, would you help me to to this? I’m going to share the missing footprint/3d model to kicad community if I can make a decent work!

The best you can do is open it in freecad and colour the faces. It’s tedious and error prone but it is worth it. It might be worth doing everything as copper then do the major faces as black.

As to sharing the model I don’t think you can as it is not licensed correctly. You would need to make the model from scratch and then license it so kicad can bundle it

The best you can do is open it in freecad and colour the faces.

Would you mind to explain me how to color the faces? When I try it colors the whole object.

The kicad library does NOT accept any files you do not fully own. So downloading a model from the manufacturer website is not an option if you want to contribute to the library.
See https://kicad.org/libraries/klc/M1.1/

Ok, got it. It seems absurd to me, though.

Anyway, for my own use only might you help me to understand how to explode the 3d object or how to color the single faces?

I inadvertently talked my son out of a career in law by pointing out that the concepts of right and wrong were separate from legal. It is what it is.

2 Likes

I said, “I got it”. Still I have an opinion about it.

Can you help me in exploding a 3D object, please?

I haven’t downloaded the TE model but I assume it’s a single solid and can’t be exploded.

Like other Open-Source programs, FreeCAD has different Workbenches (think of them as different Programs) and, though some use the Same ‘Syntax’ (words), they are not the same to each workbench (i.e. Not the same to each Programmer…).

Thus, doing things differently from one Workbench to another is a ‘Key’ to success. Most will get you what you want but, the path to it is not the same and it depends on how you create the 3D-model…

Without going into detail, Consider:

• ‘Parts’ can have their own color
• ‘Body’ Faces can have their own color
• Exporting Step_With_Color…
• Export from KSU StepUp has it’s own color/materials
• What’s selected, Compounding/Boolean… all have a role to play in this…

get it?

To boil it down to something useful to you (with future needs in mind) I suggest after testing out differences, use StepUp and when exporting, a set of Panels popup with Color/Materials. You can change to what you want… Of course, you’ll need to Compound your shapes, then select the Faces to Color… and export from StepUp (not shown in video). Forgive my jittery mouse and hand - too much BlackCoffee!

It can be confusing but, so was Algebra 101…

both.mov

@Rene_Poschl is that still the case if the manufacturer permits redistribution?

Redistribution is not enough.
See https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.