Assign 3d models correctly

Got rather stuck assigning 3d models in Kicad 8. I’ve been through all the docs. and threads I can find but must be missing something.

Problem:
I have imported my Eagle .lbr file of JLPCB symbols and footprints and migrated it to Kicad format. This seems to have worked ok.
I don’t have 3D models so I go to “properties” for a basic 0603 SMD resistor and choose the correct 3d model from the built-in Kicad 3d models. Seems ok… so far.

in my test I put a 0603 on a board and set the 3d model. I tried duplicating the resistor on the schematic then going g to the PCB. here, after updating the duplicated resistor had lost its 3d model .

I played around and it just got stranger… 3d paths in component properties I had set had disappeared for some other resistors I added , yet some resistors had the path and showed the model in the 3d viewer.,
Others were missing. Anyway, totally confused now LOL!

So is there a “correct” way to set a 3d model to a library part so it stays permanently in the library, in the PCB and if I duplicate a part?

TIA

Editing a footprint from within the PCB editor is only visible in that specific project. To have a permamently-set 3D model, edit the footprint in the footprint editor. FYI: Default libraries are read-only - make your own library to edit it.

1 Like

You write exactly what is correct - correct way is to assign 3D model to library part.
What you have done you assigned 3D model to one footprint at PCB, and not to library part, I think.
I’m not sure as I have never tried to assign 3D models at PCB as I use only footprints having 3D model assigned in library.

Many thanks for the speedy replies :smile:
I was thinking that editing from the PCB updated the main library but obviously not…

Doing the edit from theProject manager–> footprint manager → properties as suggested seems to have worked.

1 Like