Aries 48 pin ZIF socket 3d model- Can anyone share?

Hi,
Has anyone made a 3D model of this 48 pin ZIF socket?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ic-sockets/7106685P/

Or is there a model that is close to this that I can have a go at modifying. I’m a total beginner when it comes to Kicad 3d models. I’m willing to learn. Never used Wings. Dabbled in Blender and Freecad.
Thanks.

David

Aries ZIF’s are expensive compared to the cheap one’s from Amazon but, I have some older 40pin and 28pin units.

I haden’t bothered to make a Footprint for them (because I prefer the cheap one’s) but, to pass time while drinking Blackcoffee, I made a 40pin Aries. Sure, I could have made it 48 pins but, since my largest is 40pins, you can tweak the attached FreeCAD file or make a new one for 48 pins…

Note:

1. Mine have two sets of Holes on bottom (for two changeable Row Spacing’s) Thus, the Pin hardware can be changed but, I did not add these holes to the model (I’ve done it on several of them to fit in DIP’s).
  2. The important features/details are there but, the things like the Handle are only for graphic appeasement…
  3. There are different ways to make the model - the attached was Quickly done to get me the stuff I need (because I know how to cheat & trick modeling) but, may not be ideal for your needs…

Tweaking Tip: Change the body length, position of bottom standoff feet, mount hole, and the number pins and pockets in the Linear arrays

FreeCAD File: ziff_Aries_40pin.FCStd (665.3 KB)

Step Model: ziff_Aries_40pin.step (519.3 KB)

Kicad Footprint: ziff_Aries_40.kicad_mod (4.8 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you. BlackCoffee :smile:

Hi,
Can you point me to the specific sketches that I should change for 48 pins and the increase in length of the body from 65.79 mm (20 x 2.54 mm + 14.99 mm) to 75.95 mm (24 x 2.54 mm + 14.99 mm). There are sketches 1,5,7 and 11. Which ones need changing and what do I change? Also, I have tried changing the number 20 to 24 in LinearPattern001 and nothing happens. There are a few errors that show on the report view, but the model opens OK in FreeCAD 0.18. Thanks for your help so far.

David.

It would take me far-less time to completely make a new 48pin model compared to typing the following. But, It’s your turn and challenge…

First:
FreeCAD v18 has many, many bugs and incomplete code, thus many features do not work. Upgrade to a pre-release v19.

Second:
For a newbie, it would be quicker, easier and more educational to start from scratch.

Third:
• Use the Part-Design Workbench! Compound the final model (in Part workbench) and export using StepUp workbench

• There are many ways to model - my model was quickly done and not laid out/organized for un-experienced user to easily see what’s going on and tweak.

• Feature/Items build-on/link to other/previous one’s and datums and can break. Thus, needing re-association/mapping.

• Always delete Fillets and Chamfers - they are the cancer of FreeCAD’s health! Always save them for last steps in modeling.

Therefore, if tweaking the model, it would be easier to:
• Save a copy of the File and tweak the copy.

• Edit the new copied file and Delete the final compounded model (done for stepup exporting) and ALL the features to get a clean tree showing only Sketches. Can keep datum-plane/copy

• Rename the sketches (what to name some of them are obvious, such as Housing, Pin-Holes, Blade-Pockets…etc).
There may be some that go haywire and will need redoing (example shows one with “???”).

• Part-Design has a Sketch Validation tool that will help identify/fix/delete bad items.

• Exit the file and re-open if trouble (open source software!!)

• Once getting a clean Feature Tree, you can Rename the sketches as desired. Can turn On/Off sketch visibility as desired.
You’ll see current placements and some may now be missing attachment/mapping. As you change the sketch dimensions, some may need re-mapping to features they were previously attached to. Consider using Datum-Planes and re-map to them (a good learning experience) (Datums are a great way to avoid problems but can be confusing to learn but, once done, they are an excellent way to make a model portable and tweak-able)

This can be confusing and a pain (esp for newbies). Hence, quicker and easier to start from scratch… your choice… (hint, hint…)

You may need to Add a Body to the Part-Tree and Move or drag/put the sketches into the new Body… (it seems every pre-release version changes something so, never fully consistent… just like Kicad!!!).

Check/compare the sketch Dimensions I used (I did Not use the Data sheet, I measured the 40pin hardware, it’s close enough for my needs but, with spec in hand, you can dial-in dim’s)

Start Padding/Cutting… to get final model.
Create a Compound (in Part workbench, not Part-Design).
Use StepUp to export the Compound then, use it in Kicad’s footprint tool.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.