Any way to use the libraries but with a different location for 3D bodies

I’m currently working on a PCB that uses Molex PicoBlade connectors. In the footprint, a path to the 3D model has been specified (as per the KLC), but the model does not exist. I have installed the KiCad libraries via git to make it easy to keep them updated. As per KLC, a contributor must have the rights to share the model (i.e. they need to have made it themselves.) Molex makes the 3D models freely available so I’m not going to try to remake a bunch of connectors just so I can submit them for inclusion in the library.

Is there a way for me to use the manufacturer models, but still also use the KiCad libraries via git? I’m concerned that if I add a new path to a local folder for the 3D models that it will compromise the ability to keep the libraries up to date. I’m not particularly familiar with using git, so if there’s a way to easily merge my local changes (i.e a second path for 3D models) with any other changes pulled from git, that’s good enough for me.

You can add your own path variable to point to your parallel 3d model directory just like KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR does for the standard libraries. This will change nothing with the existing standard libraries and will also not prevent any updates on them. It will generate a warning in the KLC checker you can obviously ignore.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.