Any FlatCam user able to help me out with using Vbits?

Hi, hope this is the right section to ask this question, I guess there will be a fair few people who make their own PCBs here that may be able to help me as struggling to get any support via FlatCam communities.

new to FlatCam and have been trying to follow some YouTube tutorials but they all seem to be on much older versions where with a V bit you can manually set the v-cut depth, whereas in new versions it’s just a greyed-out option.

So basically I have 90 degree bit with a 0.3mm tip and I plug that into the calculator with a 0.1mm depth of cut and get 0.5mm:

Imgur

But where do I put this diameter or the bits’ diameter?

I have multiple boxes asking for diameter, and I’m not sure which one to put the 0.3mm in and which one to put the 0.5mm for the calculator in and seems that whatever I put where I get 0mm for the v-cut?

Please help, or if anyone can point me in the direction of an up-to-date tutorial!

Imgur

Imgur

I don’t (and, Won’t) use FlatCam - I use CopperCam.

CopperCam has simple-to-use tool setup’s…
A wonderful program for CNC’ing PCB’s.

Can download and use it for free (with limitation until buying it). Perhaps the limitation is enough to do your project but, certainly enough to try it out.

ADDED:
Worth mentioning…

With respect to V-Bits: Track/Pad/etc widths are dependent on Depth of cut and that depth is seldom perfect - thus, I prefer using 0.7mm EndMill bits (also 0.8, 0.9 and 1.0. Sometimes 0.6, too)

I run CopperCAM (a Windows program) on my MAC using PlayOnMac

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Downloading now!

With respect to V-Bits: Track/Pad/etc widths are dependent on Depth of cut and that depth is seldom perfect - thus, I prefer using 0.7mm EndMill bits (also 0.8, 0.9 and 1.0. Sometimes 0.6, too)

Time to order some new endmills!

Some added info that may be useful…

Bertrand at CopperCAM has made some App customization’s for me and is very helpful…

Bit Testing
Example of Results
CNC Milling PCB using FreeCAD

20170716_133406

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.