Any current plans for "6.0x testing"?

Are there any plans to release the 6.0x testing builds (i.e. fixes to current 6.0 branch, without new features of 6.99 that break compatibility of file formats).
I expect the 6.99 to become less usable for a while as lots of new features will kick in. I’ve used 5.99 for some time to the point where it become my daily driver. Now would prefer to settle in the 6.0 camp, but there are still some bugs/regressions that will probably be fixed “soon”.
So the “6.0x testing” would be probably welcome by others as well, not brave enough to migrate their projects to new fileformat.

Why the testing part?
I just expect a V6.0.1 to be released in a few months time, and further increments along the path of linear time.

1. To get the fixes sooner
  2. To be able to test fixes before putting them into 6.0.1 production
    Since it’s open source project that does not have enough resources for development testing, user-phase testing is an important part of QA imo

Maybe.

I totally agree with you @fred4u. I’m also hoping that the 5.1 testing releases will switch over to 6.0 soon. I’d like to help with bug reporting and testing, which is best done on daily builds.

An equivalent to 5.1 daily build, would be awesome. Since I use kicad commercially, I can’t use any file format breaking features.
Having the “stable-nightly” still allows helping finding bugs before the get released.

5.1 commits are almost ceased now unless some major bug surfaces, so the daily 5.1 Testing is a waste of resources

Sorry if it wasn’t clear, but by equivalent I meant a 6.0 daily build

What I was saying is that the daily Testing build should now be the 6.0.x branch, which is what you and most of us want now. The last commit on the 5.1 branch was 1st December, so this might as well be moved over into Previous Releases.
Master is now back into experimental mode and not recommended for serious work.

1 Like

I would also be very interested in this. I see there have already been quite a few commits to the 6.0 branch.

Otherwise I have a spare machine lying around, I might just script some nightly builds for myself for Ubuntu 20.04

Potentially something under https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/testing/?

1 Like

To expand on what @marekr said, we understand that people want testing builds for v6 so they can try out the bug fixes before the next patch release (and it also helps us devs because then you can also report the bug as being fixed or accidental regressions if they occur), but please be patient. The release coincided with a large holiday season, so many of the packagers have had limited time to work on updating all the build steps needed to move from a v5 testing build to a v6 testing build.

1 Like

That’s perfectly understandable, given the amount of work and strict timeline needed for the 6.0 release.
“We plan to do it later” is just a bit different message than “maybe” (or maybe not).

To each his own to me maybe means maybe which is kind of like yis

1 Like

@fred4u It is tracked in Update pipeline to support stable builds for v6.0 of kicad (#141) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Packaging / kicad-win-builder · GitLab

4 Likes

Is the pipeline update needed in order to switch from 5.1.x to 6.0.x branch on testing builds for windows?

It would really be great to be able to test the latest commits to 6.0.x without compiling yourself. Especially when reporting bugs it’s nice to be able to test the solution.

https://downloads.kicad.org/kicad/windows/explore/6.0-testing

Disclaimer: I have no idea if these work, I’m just lazily posting this

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ve looked for this so many times. Must have been updated really recently.

Thanks!
I’d politely ask to include the “Lite” builds… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.