Antennas and DRC issues

Some time ago I had a question about antenna footprints, where 2 alternatives were given on how to use the antenna footprint. @maui was kind enought to provide with a variant where instead of using a polygon copper pour, a custom pad shape was used instead.

I recently ported my design to Kicad 6 and I don’t know how to handle the DRC errors.
If I use the footprint from the builtin libraries: RF_Antenna:Texas_SWRA117D_2.4GHz_Right
The errors shown are:

However If I used the generated by @maui the DRC complains about this:

One might think, go with the later, less errors. It also makes the antenna “naked” which with ENIG finishing looks sick :open_mouth: However I want to make sure that I handle it correctly and I don’t whitelist a violation that can bite me in the ass somewhere else.

For both cases unless I set the routing options to “Allow DRC violations” I can’t route the AE2-Pad1 net as both pads are “shorted”. And eventually from session to session the NET would change to GND or show an “unconnected” error or whatnot.

How can I handle this ?

You are shorting two nets together without using a Net-Tie, KiCAD is letting you know that you have an error.

I understand the error, I am asking whats the way of solving the particular case where in a antenna footpring both pads are meant to be shorted. So, how can I make the net-tie to avoid the error?

There is an open issue about this in gitlab.

…and if you create a footprint with this shape? I don’t think it throws this error, you can also customize it as you want

Net ties are part of the standard library in KiCad (as a schematic symbol and a footprint), they are KiCad’s hackish way of joining two nets together. If the ones from the library do not suit your needs, you can of course create a net-tie that fits as it should.

as described in Need a way to avoid DRC violations for footprints with copper polygons (#6860) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab
adding the keywords “net tie” in the antenna footprint fixed the issue. Thanks for your help !

1 Like

I was looking for a FAQ about net ties, unfortunately I could not find one, so the information is a bit dispersed in the forum.

The net-ties from the library are two pads connected using a graphic line drawn in the copper layer, what makes them special is the use of the word “net tie” in the keywords (therefore I refer to them as ‘hackish’), this renders them ‘invisible’ to the DRC. net ties as “first class” components are planned for v7.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.