Annoying behavior of Alt+Right/Left to navigate Schematic Pages

Annoying behavior of Alt+Right/Left to navigate Schematic Pages

Using Alt+Right/Left is not working right.

The BUG includes:

1. It does not pass through all schematic pages. It stops on the page it thinks it is the last one and does not move forward.
  2. When it reaches the last page it stops changing pages and then moves the schematics canvas sideways (Horriblle).

I would also recommend changing the keyboard shortcuts of this thing. We could think that Schematic Pages are like Browser tabs and then we can use the Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab to cycle through pages back and forth. Also, it should not stop on the last page but keep GOING (back) to the initial page as a cyclic list.

Using:

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.2-6a45011f42~172~ubuntu23.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.12.1
	HarfBuzz 6.0.0
	FontConfig 2.14.1
	libcurl/7.88.1 OpenSSL/3.0.8 zlib/1.2.13 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.4 libidn2/2.3.3 libpsl/0.21.2 (+libidn2/2.3.3) libssh/0.10.4/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.52.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Ubuntu 23.04, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu-xorg, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Apr 17 2023 07:57:57
	wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 7.88.1
	ngspice: 38
	Compiler: GCC 12.2.0 with C++ ABI 1017

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

It might pay to check the hotkeys before criticizing their use.

Shift + Right/Left are for panning.
There are other keys assigned for changing pages.
I’ll let you peruse the hotkey list to find them. (hint) start with “PgDn” key.

It would be good if you attach a example project. It seems to depend on the complexity of the hierarchy (count of pages, number of hierarchy-levels) and maybe also on the numbering of the pages (numbered in ascending order or chaotic numbered?). At least a short test worked to my satisfaction.
Also it would be good to get exact reproduction steps. Is the hierarchy navigator panel open? Which part of the editor contains the program focus (main canvas or hierarchy navigator)? This makes a difference.

background for my info-request: As I don’t use the navigation hotkeys (like some others) I didn’t cared for these hotkey behaviour (and so could not detect this horrible annoying behaviour). The requested reproduction steps are needed to better judge your complain.

Mouse over the blue arrow pointing left (I could not make the mouse pointer appear on my screenshots, unfortunately.)

Mouse over the blue arrow pointing right:

The hotkeys KIND OF work, since they change the Page. However, when the page hits an END. Which sometimes is the Root Page or sometimes it is something in the middle of the list of sheets. And Then It starts Panning.

This is horrible. And definitely a bug.

The blue arrows left/right are not for navigating the schematic hierarchy, but for navigating through the sheet navigation history.
So they show the last visited sheets - in the order of the viewed sheets.

The part with the panning could be something.

gitlab issue opend: hotkey for schematic sheet navigation history ALT+LEFT ALT+RIGHT: turns into canvas-panning at start/end of history (#14783) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

Turns out this is maybe not so simple to fix.

It seems we are discussing different subjects @leoheck

Your thread title reads “Shift + Right/Left” but you are discussing “Alt + Right/Left”

I assumed keyboard shortcuts were these:

And these:

Indeed, :rage:, sorry. There are too many usability issues that I was defeated.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.