Annotation and Association with Ver 5

I have created several projects in KiCad.
I want to pull from my llibrary to basically cut and paste designs.
This inludes layout. If I paste a previous layout into a new design, the foot print values do not associate with the values in the appended schematic. Is there a way to synchronize them?

If the layout to be copy/pasted is completely contained within one schematics sheet, and you used the same schematics sheet in all of the projects, you can use the Save/Restore layout: action plugin. With it you can do the layout in one project, save it and then restore it in other projects.

1 Like

Shows promise. It may do what I want. I have two hierarchical schematics and two layouts. I want to create a new project that combines both into one schematic file and one PCB file. Doing so will require me to re-annotate all components. The plug-in will hopefully re-associate the new annotated parts to the correct footprints and reference designators.

But I do not know how and where to install scripts. Running Win10. I tried installing it to …\bin\scripting\plugins

The KiCad documentation tells you how to write scripts, but not where to install them. There are examples in …\bin\scripting\plugins but they are not installed. “Tools–>External Plugins…–>Refresh Plugins” does nothing at all.

Look at the top of the page on github

Yes the plug in handles this. But the original schematics file has to remain otherwise completely unchanged.

Also as this is the newest of my plugins it has not been tested much so backup your work before running.

1 Like

I believe that the plugin are located here:

C:\Program Files\KiCad\bin\scripting\plugins

This is not the same as mentioned in the git readme file.
This may have changed with V5.

Unable to get the plug in to work. Tools–>Plugins–>Refresh does nothing.
I’ve placed the “script action_save_restore_layout.py” into several locations.
Using V5.1.2 of KiCad and Win10.

That is wrong path for action plugins
This page has more complete info on where to put them.
http://docs.kicad.org/doxygen/md_Documentation_development_pcbnew-plugins.html

1 Like

It is generally poor form as a user to manually add or remove files from anywhere in Program Files on Windows computers. That is the area for installer scripts to play and unexpected extra or removed files (from the perspective of the installer scripts) in this area can lead to undefined effects. Everything from an installer wiping out user added files without warning to installer/uninstaller scripts crashing because of missing or extra files.

That is why you should always put plugins that you download for KiCad into %APPDATA%\Roaming\kicad\scripting\plugins on Windows computers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.