Altium Project Parameters and Import into KiCad

I recently upgraded to version 8.0.0 and tried to import an Altium Schematic . I wanted to start simple so I tried a Title page I have been using on Altium/Solidworks PCB ( a scrubbed down version of Circuit Studio). In Altium you are able to set Project parameters that can then be used on sheets and in the PCB that are like Global variables. I realised that after import some of my parameters from Altium are recognised while others are not. Where is KiCAD storing these parameters and where can I then go to define them. I have posted a few snap shots of some that worked and others that did not.
For example sheet numbers seem to work fine

But Project Name and some other parameters are not recongnised

Is this of help?

HI JMK thanks for the pointer. That is what I am using to create a new custom Template. As you can see in snap shot below.

I need to know how KiCAD translates the Altium parameters into KiCAD as some like Current date Sheet numbers etc are being converted however some others are not

a

b

Oder wenn du das meinst:
void SCH_IO_ALTIUM::ParseLabel( const std::map<wxString, wxString>& aProperties, std::vector<LIB_SYMBOL*>& aSymbol, std::vector<int>& aFontSizes )
in ./eeschema/sch_io/altium/sch_io_altium.cpp @ 1454 - 1554

static const std::map<wxString, wxString> variableMap = {
            { "APPLICATION_BUILDNUMBER", "KICAD_VERSION" },
            { "SHEETNUMBER",  "#"            },
            { "SHEETTOTAL",   "##"           },
            { "TITLE",        "TITLE"        }, // 1:1 maps are sort of useless, but it makes it
            { "REVISION",     "REVISION"     }, // easier to see that the list is complete
            { "DATE",         "ISSUE_DATE"   },
            { "CURRENTDATE",  "CURRENT_DATE" },
            { "COMPANYNAME",  "COMPANY"      },
            { "DOCUMENTNAME", "FILENAME"     },
            { "DOCUMENTFULLPATHANDNAME",
                              "FILEPATH"     },
            { "PROJECTNAME",  "PROJECTNAME"  },
        };

Sorry, I cannot help with that. I think @dsa-t may be able to help.
Mentioning using the @ will alert that member next time they open this forum.

@johannespfister . Danke. Unfortunately I lost the little german I learnt a long time ago. However I do see why only certain parameters are converted during the Schematic import while other more custom like parameters are not recognized during the import

So I found out that For the “custom” Parameters that are not recognized by KiCad during import of Altium Schematics you can set Text Variables File → Schematic Setup as shown in snap shot below. This is the best fix I found so far for redefining Altium Parameters in KiCad

2 Likes

@johannespfister . Thanks . That is what I was trying to find. I did further search after your post showing the code sections on the parameter conversions. thanks

@jmk Thanks for looking into this. @johannespfister code sections gave me the info I was looking for and based of that I was able to find the Text Variables explanation in the KiCad Docs Advanced Topics section

I don’t understand this, “Sag doch” sounds to me like an Indian curry and the last bit suggests that you are at “war” with “Jmk” ? I realy think it would be better for everybody if we all stuck to English.
:mouse:

1 Like