Altium design to kicad

Hi, I need to redesign an Altium file and I want to do it through Kicad. I managed to open the pcb design through PCB editor but the schematic is not linked to the design. Is there any way to do it easily?

In KiCad v5.99 (the unstable development version, nightly builds) it’s possible to import a schematic with standalone Eeschema and a board with standalone Pcbnew. A KiCad project is loosely coupled files with the same base name, e.g. myproj.kicad_pro, myproj.kicad_pcb and myproj.kicad_sch. When you saved the pcb design, did you get the .kicad_pro project file automatically? If yes, you can open that as a project.

Then, when you have the schematic and the board, they should have identical reference designators for the components. If that’s the case, you can use the non-default option in Update PCB from Schematic dialog. In 5.99 it’s “Re-link footprints to schematic symbols based on their reference designators”. Read Update PCB from Schematic's match methods if you want to know details of that process.

Note that I didn’t try importing an Altium project to make sure this works, so if this doesn’t work for you, please tell.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.