Altium CircuitStudio Pcb file import issue with HOLES

Hi all,

Not sure where to post a possible issue in KiCad V6.

I imported a pcb from Altium CircuitStudio (latest) and the mounting holes I had created in CircuitStudio did not import properly into KiCad. What I got was a pad the ccorrect shape but a very small hole in the centre.

I think I worked out what happened.

In CircuitStudio you cannot create non-plated, pad-less, copperless holes (say Pcb mounting holes).
What you have to do is create a pad with a hole bigger than the pad size specified, and uncheck the ‘plated’ option…so you end up with a simple hole in the FR4.

As far as I can see though, KiCad doesn’t support holes bigger than pads, so when I import this Pcb Kicad reduces the hole size down to a bare minimum.
What I then have to do is deleted the hole/pad and create a KiCad one.

On Altium Designer this isn’t an issue, I believe, because it has more configuration options for pads and so you don’t have to ‘cheat’ like you do in CircuitStudio.

Maybe there’s another way in CircuitStudio, but I never found it.

Thanks,

Ian.

Please post some example board (and perhaps create an issue on gitlab). I can fix it then.

Ok, I do one later this week…cheers.

Hi, consider reviewing your kicad file with text editor (searc and replace hole properties), until this will be resolved from kicad side…

1 Like

Here’s a zip file contaning the CircuitStudio TEST pcb and also screenshots in 2D & 3D from CircuitStudio.
Also, there’s screenshots from KiCad V6.0.

There’s a variety of pads/holes I created in CircuitStudio and you can see from the screenshot showing the properties box that I had created the holes with no copper by making the hole size BIGGER than the pad size as I had described.

Hope thats enough for you to take this issue forward and fix in KiCad.

Ian.
testPCB.zip (969.1 KB)

1 Like

@IanJ I looked onto your board in the 3d-viewer, and I think the holes are imported correctly. The thing differing is, that the solder-mask is above the hole. So it might be a 3d-viewer bug.

Creating gerbers from the imported file into KiCad and viewing them they are messed up also.

Ian.

@IanJ Please create an issue in the bug tracker. This might require some more discussion, and we don’t want to forget it.

Ok, I’ll do that.

Ian.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.