"Alias ### not found" when loading a version 4 project

I opened a project that was created in version 4.
I do not use the Kicad supplied libraries and all components in the project are from my custom libraries.

Got the message about converting the global symbols (selected “default” as advise when I asked about it several days ago)

Now I get an “alias xxxxx not found in some_library_name.dcm” message for several components
From what I see the message above is due to the fact that in version 4 it was possible to use a “/” in the component value whereas now it is not.
If I select any of the components which created this message I see that they are now taken from the project rescue library and not from my custom libraries.

What is the procedure to have the old components converted properly and have the components in the schematic refer back to the custom library?

Another question - are the library files called now *.dcm (and *.lib are the old version)?

They are both the library. The dcm file holds fields that are set able per alias (description, keywords and datasheet link) whereas the lib file holds the rest of the information.

OK - I see now.

DCM seems to hold the values you enter under the “symbol properties” menu while LIB holds the “field properties” as well as the drawing itself.

I also see that the new version changed all parts in my custom libraries that had a “/” and replaced them with a “_” so this explains why it does not find the part in the library (because in the schematic it is still with the “/”).

So is there a simple way to convert these parts or do I have to place them again from the libraries (text editing the “sch” files manually does not seem to be a good idea to me) ?

Open the symbol properties in the schematic and edit the “LIbrary Symbol” text box then click OK.

There is a nice tool that allows doing this as a patch operation. Found under tools -> edit symbol library reference

Thanks. Switching reference tot he correct library is indeed easy with the option that Rene suggested.
However I was wrong about the new version changing my custom libraries - it did not so I got the same message again. Changed manually in the LIB and DCM files and message was gone.
Seems I will have to manually change all “/” into “_” in my custom DCM and LIB files

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.