AK8963C compass schematic

Hi,
I’m starting a PCB for an AK8963C compass module 1.6x16mm chip with
an AK8963C compass chip. I hope this is te correct link to it? https://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK8963.pdf
To do it again properly, I need the schematic for this chip please. Where will I find it?
Cheers, Camerart.

Here is an old PCB for example.

I’m not sure what you mean by schematic.
Apparently you’ve put in some decoupling capacitors (and that’s good), (& pullup resistors?) but also implies you know where they have to go.

The link you posted does not seem to work, but this one worked for me:
https://www.digikey.com/htmldatasheets/production/1474913/0/0/1/ak8963.html

There are some example schematics at the end of the datasheet. Apparently the pins can support multiple differeent digital interfaces SPI, I2C and more, and those have to be configurable in some way. It’s up to you what you want to do with that chip.

Hi P,
My question is a bit confusing.
You have the correct PDF.
As you can see I made the one I posted, but I didn’t use a Schematic, only PCB.
I now need to start again Scematic first, then produce the PCB.
I now have the correct components to do it correctly, where in my example, I experimented.
I have to PCB footprint as shown, but I now need the Schematic footprint (If it’s called that?)
Cheers, C.

Do you mean the symbol for the chip? It’s probably easier to create this from looking at the datasheet.

Hi G,
Yes, the symbol.
Ok, I’ll do it myself.
Thanks, all.
C

Hi,
Well, I made my component SYMBOL, it looked good to me, but I was told, I can’t save it, clicked the red X and there it was GONE!

I suppose the libraries et are protected. That I understand, but surely there’s a way for us slow learners, to be able to save something, without compromising Kicad.
Is there?
C

Yes, of course.
Create a personal library.
One method is:
Minimize or close Kicad.
Using your OS find a suitable place and create a folder. Name that folder. Remember where you created it.
Open Kicad, open your schematic project, go to Create, Delete & Edit Symbols which brings you into symbol editor.
Click File/New Library
Click OK to global in pop-up.
Navigate with the new window to the folder you created.
Highlight your folder and give the file up top a name, click save and you have a library in the folder you created.
Place newly created symbols in that library in that folder.

Repeat the same performance for a footprint library but use the PCB editor.

And please reply whether you find this method easy, fair or hard to create a personal library.

The default libraries are read-only for good reasons. They get replaced during KiCad updates, and any changes you have made in them will then be lost.

So indeed, you have to create your own libraries, but you do not have to close KiCad to do so.
As you are new to this, I recommend to start with small steps.

1. Make sure some project is active in the project manager.
  2. Start the Symbol Editor from the project manager.
  3. Symbol Editor / File / New Library.
  4. Choose the Library Table to add the library to: Project
  5. A file select window is opened. Now enter some name for your new library.

At that point your library is still empty. You can copy any existing library symbol from another library by right clicking on it and selecting copy from the popup menu, and then paste it into your library.
Or use: Symbol Editor / file / New Symbol to start a new library symbol.

Before you start making serious symbols I recommend to copy a few other symbols into your first library, examine what they look like and get familiar with the Symbol editor.
Also save your library, and verify you can see it in the Schematic Editor and that you can actually use schematic symbols in your new library. When you have verified it all works and you’re familiar with this part of the software, it is time to start designing more serious real schematic symbols.

Hi J and P,
I’ve done it, and added a simple square, that I can use in the schematic. I’ll add PINs later.
Actually, I’m not new to this, and have done it a few times before, but if a couple of years go by in between this kind of thing, as it isn’t intuitive, it’s almost as difficult each time.
Anyway, thanks both, I’ll see you in a couple of years thanks.:slight_smile: C

Maybe it helps to make notes of the steps that are important to you.
The challenge with those is however to find them in a few years time when you need them, and KiCad may have a advanced a few versions so it’s not sure that your notes will work then anyway.

but whatever.
Congratulations with your success.

Hi P,
I try to keep order with my own projects, folders, file systems etc.

You mention Kicad being updated in the future, as with many other programs and this type of thing happens from time to time with one or the other.

A side note: I was with a mate of mine today, who bought a digital/FM radio. We both read the manual and looked at instruction videos, but both couldn’t get it to be FM. Eventually he did it, but couldn’t quite remember how, and he’s an expert in stuff.
Cheers, C.

Hi,
I made the compass scheatic ok, and saved it as Compass in my CAMERART library.
This plus others will be added to larger PCBs as I go along.
I tried opening up a large schematic, but couldn’t find my compass. It says couldn’t find camerart library, use ‘manage system libaries’ Camerart is shown ticked in the system libraries, but not when I try to place component in scematic.
What am I doing wrong?
C

What do you mean with:

Can you show a screenshot of that?
KiCad has “global libraries” which are visible to all projects, and it has “Project Specific Libraries” which are, as the name implies only added to a single project (unless you manually add that library also to other projects).

Also: It could be that you mis-spelled it’s name or the directory.

Hi P,
I can see that it is the odd one out, and perhaps in the wrong place.
C.

${KIPRJMOD} always refers to the root directory of the current project. It is therefore a project specific library, and not a global library.

It has never occurred to me that KiCad system has an odd ability to mix the concepts of global and project specific. Logically ${KIPRJMOD} should work in the global table, but it presupposes the same library being inside every project. I wouldn’t suggest doing that even if it’s possible.

Hi P and E,
Thanks, but what do I do?
C

Hi,
I think I’ve done it? I’m not sure quite what I did, but it’s something like this:
I opened the compass, that I made yesterday, exported it. Opened the new schematic and imported it, and it appeared in the new SCH.
C.

So, from your screenshot, you did make it a “global library”, but you used a path name that is relative to the current project:

That means that every project expects to find that library in it’s own directory.

When you create a new library, then KiCad asks you whether it should use an absolute or a relative path. For a global library you should always choose an absolute path.

Hi P,
I’m really getting mixed up now, at one point I lost the SYMBOL I made the other day, but Kicad rescue brought it back.

There appear to be 2x libraries. 1x AK8963C and the other CAMERART. What I triedto do was delete CAMERART and add it again trying to follow your instructions, but it didn’t appear.

At the moment the library looks like this, with no CAMERART.

I would like a Global CAMERART with my symbols inside if poss, please.
C