After adding new 3D parts no (regular) 3D parts show up

Hello,

I downloaded 3D models from SnapEDA. Placed them in a separate folder and assigned them to the parts. It worked fine.

Made a new board (the next day) and non of the (regular) parts show up in the 3D model.
When I go back to the board and want to assign the (regular) parts, the dialogue box opens up at my SnapEDA folder.

Checked to board I added new parts to. Yesterday it showed regular and new parts. Today it shows only the new parts but not the regular parts.

By the way, I am using KiCAD 6.
Has anyone an idea what went wrong and how to fix it? It will save me a lot of time :slight_smile:

Kinds regards,
Leendert

Hello and welcome,

To help find the problem please post your full program details.

Open Kicad > Help > About Kicad, then in Top RH corner of newly opened window, left mouse click “Copy version info”, then Paste into a forum post.
Thankyou.

Hello,
Here the requested info:

Application: KiCad

Version: 6.0.2+dfsg-1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.81.0 OpenSSL/3.0.2 zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.4.8 libidn2/2.3.2 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.2) libssh/0.9.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.5.14

Platform: Linux 5.19.0-41-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, wayland

Build Info:
Date: Feb 12 2022 09:36:02
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.74.0
OCC: 7.5.1
Curl: 7.81.0
ngspice: 36
Compiler: GCC 11.2.0 with C++ ABI 1016

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

v6.0.2 is a very old version, the latest version of the 6th release is v6.0.11, you could give it a try if for some reason you have to stay in the 6th release. If that is not the case, the 7th release is out since the beginning of the year (latest version being v7.0.2).

Found the problem and solved it.
I use the board program as standalone. In the board program I assigned the 3D models to the footprints. That’s where it went wrong. By opening the the main Kicad program → Preferences → Configure paths, the first line is the standard 3D model line which was assigned to a folder with the new 3D symbols. That’s what I had to change back into :

KICAD6_3D_MODEL_DIR → path to Kicad 3D models
KICAD6_3RD_PARTY → path to new 3D models.

Thanks for your help!
Kind regards,
Leendert

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.