Aduino Can bus newbie!

Sorry if this isnt the right forum to ask such a question

Canbus net works are starting to become common in my field ( motorcycle engineering) and I have happily avoided the subject for years

but things catch up !

So I decided to learn about the things by doing a simple project

An indicator flasher circuit for my rolling “test” bike an old British single.

My questions are

Can anyone point me in a direction where I can ask specific “canbus” related questions ( there is an Aduino forum but I have more Electronical types of questions so maybe here is more appropriate I don’t know!?

If someone can help, I understand how a canbus system works but How is the current supplied to the lamp and if there are sequential lamps do I need a separate CAN transceiver TJA1050 for every “node” ( lamp )

Ive tied to read everything I could find the all explain “how” the canbus system works but don’t explain how the nodes are powered so I’m kinda confused here. and example of a tutorial

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful If its not "kicad related " don’t worry I just thought here would be the best place to ask !

Kind regards

Stephen

Eevblog, electronics stack exchange, Wikipedia, standards documents.

Definitely not here.

Hi,
each CAN node or CAN device is a controler (MCU + CAN controller) with a CAN transceiver.
So if you are driving lamp with the CAN bus. The lamp would come with an electronic board (that could be integrated inside).
To the lamp module, you will have to provide a power supply (I guess 12V), the Ground, and the CANL and CANH signals.

If you build yourself the can node, then it will need :
the power supply to convert the 12V to 5V to power the arduino
the arduino
the CAN controller
the CAN transceiver
the electronic to drive what you want, for example some transistor to drive one or more lamps, or a Hbridge to drive an electrical motor, or some sensor.

And you will have to connect it to the +12V, GND, CANL, CANH

1 Like

If you will search for “how the remote controller communicates with TV” you will also not find the information “how TV display is powered”, I think.

1 Like

Have a look at this link

Vector are a big player in the automotive market.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 23 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.