Addon to push parts to DigiKey myLists

This addon helps you collect parts in your KiCad schematic file and push them to Digi-Key myLists.

With your BOM in myLists you can calculate attrition, find and assign alternates, add assembly counts, and more.

Installation

• Download the addon from latest release
  • Open KiCad, select KiCad Plugin and Content Manager, click Install from File...
  • Select the downloaded .zip file in step 1, click Open

How to Push your BOM to DigiKey

• Open PCB Editor, click the Push to Digi-Key myLists icon on the toolbar
  • In the dialog that opens, verify the parts list and modify the list name if desired, then press the Create DigiKey List button
  • Parts will be pushed to Digi-Key myLists

Plugin installed Plugin in PCB editor Parts pushed to Digi-Key myLists

1 Like

Is there a step missing in these instructions? Iā€™m thinking that it needs to somehow log in to my account on DigiKey. Perhaps itā€™s going to invoke a web browser?

Iā€™m running this on Linux, using Brave as my default browser, and I just get the progress bar saying itā€™s ā€œUploading your BOMā€. The progress bar makes it just under halfway and then nothing. It just hangs there; forever as far as Iā€™ve waited so far.

Oh, Iā€™m also using KiCad 6.0.11 since KiCad 7 still isnā€™t out for Debian Linux. Maybe this doesnā€™t work on the old KiCad.

Hi @David_Bridgham - Login is not needed. The plugin opens a guest myList at DigiKey. You are correct that the plugin opens the browser. Could you try with another browser to see if the issue persists?

KiCad 6 is supported with this plugin.

Iā€™ve tried Firefox, Firefox-ESR, and Chromium and Iā€™m now getting a pop-up error message:

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py:1048: InsecureRequestWarning: Unverified HTTPS request is being made to host ā€˜www.digikey.comā€™. Adding certificate verification is strongly advised. See: Advanced Usage - urllib3 1.26.15 documentation
warnings.warn(

In fact, I now get this message when I switch back to Brave as well.

After a timeout, I got more to the error message. Donā€™t know if itā€™s helpful, but Iā€™ll quote the whole thing:

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py:1048: InsecureRequestWarning: Unverified HTTPS request is being made to host ā€˜www.digikey.comā€™. Adding certificate verification is strongly advised. See: Advanced Usage - urllib3 1.26.15 documentation
warnings.warn(
Exception in thread Thread-7:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File ā€œ/usr/lib/python3.11/threading.pyā€, line 1038, in _bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File ā€œ/home/dab/.local/share/kicad/6.0/3rdparty/plugins/internal_kicad_pushToDigiKeyMyLists/ki_push_thread.pyā€, line 39, in run
print('\nStatus Code: ', r.status_code)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AttributeError: ā€˜NoneTypeā€™ object has no attribute ā€˜status_codeā€™

Thanks for the follow-up and the error messaging details! Weā€™ll look into it.

@David_Bridgham, can you try the latest release (v1.01) and see if you still get errors?

I now get this:

The plugin cannot push part data to Digi-Key myLists.

Cannot connect to https://www.digikey.com/mylists/api/thirdparty.

If your computer is behind a proxy system, please contact your administrator.

I am not behind any sort of proxy. The former error message looks like it was more informative if a whole lot more obscure. Itā€™s almost up there with TeX error messages.

I tried tracking down that earlier error message and adding certificate verification as it suggested. I was told that ā€˜certifiā€™ was already installed so while it might appear more informative, it didnā€™t get me there.

Another thing Iā€™ve noticed is that when I click on the Icon to send the parts list up to DigiKey, the PCB is marked as ā€˜modifiedā€™ so it needs to be saved again. Itā€™s minor but it seems like it oughtnā€™t do that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.