Adding Via's in Polygons'

Need help adding Vias in my layout, particular in Polygons. I have a GND net ploygon on the top of the board, happens to be red fill, and a GND net polygon on the bottom of the board, happens to be in blue. When placing a Via to “stitch” the two together I get a DRC location error at the top of the screen, seems to be just about anywhere I try. Even when trying a via in signal nets that I have created Polygon’s for (top and bottom) it shows DRC error. I can add a via right on a SM pad.
I did look up the tutorials, and the error on the Forum, tutorials show dropping anywhere, help?
Version info below, help?
Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: 8.0.0, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.3.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Feb 23 2024 02:24:15
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.7.1
Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
ngspice: 42
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
Thanks,
Gary

What sort of thing is:

How did you create it?
Did you use: PCB Editor / Place / Draw Graphic Polygon by any chance?
If so, that is the wrong function, you should have used: PCB Editor / Place / Add Filled Zone.

Graphic Polygons and Filled copper zones have different properties. In general graphic objects should not be used on copper layers (there are some exceptions) while tracks and filled zones can only be used on copper layers, and have much better support for things like net names and clearances.

If you drew a graphical polygon, you can change it into a Filled Zone by first selecting it, then a right click and choose: Create from Selection / Create Zone from Selection.

Yes, used Graphic Polygon, thanks, I’ll try it.
Gary

Yes, that was it.
Thanks,
Gary

While we are on the topic, are mounting holes, just large Via’s?

You can abuse via’s as mounting holes, but the normal way is to add them to the schematic (there are schematic symbols for mounting holes), then assign footprints (there is a footprint library for mounting holes too), and then proceed the same way as with any other footprint.

There are options for mounting holes both with and without a pad (electrical connection). For example Grounded mounting holes for connecting to a chassis is common.

If you’ve found a solution in a topic, then you can mark the best answer by clicking on the checkbox inside that post:

This forum software then automatically adds a link to the post marked as the solution, so others who are searching the forum can find answers quicker. Make a habit of doing this (but only if there is a real solution).

Ok, thanks,will look at mounting hole symbols.

This is not how you should do it:

The goal is to mark the ANSWER to the original question as the solution. Not one of your own posts. (So I unmarked it).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.