Adding thermal pads to ESP32 module

Hello everyone,

I have a footprint that I imported from my old software that I was using. Just needing some advice on how to do this in KiCAD.

What I have is a large thermal pad for the ground pads that are on the back side of the ESP32 module.
The little pads are meant to be for the solder paste layer. So I don’t really need the smaller pads to be present or connected on the top copper layer.

What is the best practices for accomplishing this in KiCAD?

Have you designed footprints before?
Are yo familiar with the layers for pads?

The part of the pad that is going to be copper must have the pad number, because it’s also used for the electrical connection (and matching between schematic symbol pins and PCB footprint pads). For simple pads, the layers for the solder mask and paste are turned on, which makes them the same size (or some adjustable margin) as the pad itself.

If you want more complex pads, then you can use Aperture pads (Look them up in the manual). Aperture pads do not have copper, and they do not have a pad number, but you can use the other layers for an aperture pad. So you can use them to make custom shapes on the solder mask, paste, glue, etc. layers.

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your feedback. I have made footprints before in my old software but I am still getting used to KiCAD. I am a new user and still learning the ins and outs.

I believe that I have a good handling on the schematic and layout interfaces but still working my way around the footprint editor

You can make these pads as “SMD Aperture” pads in the footprint editor. Set them to the solder paste layer.

1 Like

Hello craftyjon,

That is what I was looking for! Thank you

2 Likes