Adding symbol fields permanently as project parameters

I often add global fields with URL when I need to have two or more links to external datasheets, but these global fields do not seem to be preserved within the project itself.
I use github to share projects with my colleagues and we noticed that when someone else gets access to my project some fields would disappear and the ones that could support external links would become normal fields without the possibility to access the URL i wrote beforehand.
Could there be a way to save global fields permanently as parameters within the project so that everyone can have the same symbol properties when accessing the same schematic?

I’m not exactly sure what you’re wishing for, but Schematic Editor / File / Schematic Setup / Field Name Templates may be in that direction.

I also see a button with Import Settings from Another Project, which implies these templates are project specific, but you could create a “template project” designed as a “root” for holding these names.

2 Likes

Schematic Setup → Field Name Templates are project specific, but there’s also Preferences → Schematic Editor → Field Name Templates which acts exactly the same but is global.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply,
I used to add fields from the “Preferences” menu and that was the reason why the fields were only visible by me with my own kicad setup.
I didn’t notice that I could add project specific fields through the “schematic setup” menu.

That’s exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks for the reply.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.