Adding POGO pin

Hi all,
I am very new to KiCAD and circuit design.
I need to make a mount for a Teensy. Where I want to put a USB mount to the circuit board. I found that underneath Teensy there are contact pads for POGO pins. So I have been trying to add pogo pins to my board. I can’t seem to find pogo pins in the footprint. Am I missing the library? Or does it fall in the category of pins? Not sure what am I doing wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bikram

You need to provide a data sheet link for the POGO pins you intend to use. From a quick search it looks like they are made to a standard spacing which means you can just use an existing footprint. Probably a header?

This example may be helpful…

There are a bazillion POGO pins out there - find the ones that meet your needs - the example above does what you want so, strive for similar POGO pins…

So I want to add pogo pins like PGTH1250.
Here is the datasheet:

So the actual pogo pins usually go on the programmer/test fixture. Are youtalking about the test pads that the pins make contact with? There are some standard types of these like the Tag connect devices or a SOIC clip. You will probably have to carefully measure your pads and make a custom footprint unless you know exactly which programmer end they were designed for and can find the spec.

Yes, I want to put the pogo pins on my board. I found from the manufacturer which pogo pins that they are using (PGTH1250). I am trying to figure out how to place them on the board.

Hello Bikram,
POGO pin library is not available in KiCad. I would recommend you to use an existing footprint available in the KiCad library or create your own. For a better understanding, check how to create a schematic symbol library in KiCad.

PogoPins are generally used for test fixtures.
I have not made those myself, but I seem to recall there are (slit?) tubes available to put those pogo pins in, so they can be replaced if needed. (Those test fixtures are often expensive and have to last multiple thousands of test cycles).

For an intermediate / hobby level test fixture, you can design a PCB with THT holes big enough for the pogo pins to fit through. If you then order two of those PCB’s and put a spacer in between, then all the pogopins are held collinear to each other.

You can solder the pogo pins directly to those holes (on one PCB so they’re easy to replace if needed, or use hot glue.

Not in the case of the Teensy. They had too many pins to make them all THT pins, so they put some SMT pads on the back:

A while back, I did something similar to the OP and used pogo pins to contact the pads on the back of the Teensy:

It was tricky to do, though. I had to make a laser-cut wooden jig to hold the pogo pins perfectly straight while I soldered them.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying that ppelleti.
Yes, I want to connect to the bottom pads for connecting to the USB pins.
I figured out that I need this pogopin: https://cdn.harwin.com/pdfs/P70-220.pdf
and this header to hold the teensy:
https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/samtec-inc/SLW-114-01-G-S/1104623

Now just how to make the footprint…

All you need is a plated through hole of the appropriate diameter. You could either create a footprint for a single pogo pin, which would just be a single plated through hole, and then instantiate one for each pogo pin. Or, you could add the plated through holes to the footprint you’re already using for the Teensy. (The latter is probably more elegant, but either would work.)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.