Adding parts to V6 libraries (in 5.99)

Merge request is submitted.
Fingers crossed :wink:

The python scripts are complaining that power pins should be at the top of the part, yet I have seen many regulators in the V6 libraries with power pins at the sides. I can see why, because the label of the part is centered at the top in the 5.99 schematic editor and as a result the label would overlap with the power pins.
I have assumed the rule “power pins at the top” will be obsoleted, but the scripts have not been adapted to the V6 KLC yet.

Is my assumption correct and should I ignore the failed pipeline generated by github or should I move the BIAS and Vcc pins to the top of the symbol?
Do you know the status @chschlue?

Voltage regulators and such may have power pins on the sides, other symbols may not. That rule is unlikely to change for v6.

The rationale being: usually, symbols are supposed to do their work left-to-right (as in, inputs left, outputs right). That’s not always applicable, of course, but what most symbols have in common is that power supply is just a necessary evil, if you will, so those pins go top and bottom. Now, Vregs and similar symbols’ power pins are what the part is all about, so those go left and right (with common grounds staying at the bottom).

That’s a lot of nested exceptions but I hope you get the idea.

Yes. Thank you @chschlue. That is what I did on the LM5156xH’s.
On issuing the merge request, the scripts are running, inspecting all content in Regulator_Switching.kicad_sym and fails on all sorts of errors in many components I have not touched.
Do you know if the merge request is getting through at all, because gitlab does not show my merge request to be issued, due to failure in the scripts.
I am kindoff stuck, probably.

MR 3236 is there, the CI errors seem to be mostly false positives at first glance.
It doesn’t make much sense to me to go into more detail here instead of discussing the MR over there.

Agreed. Thanks.
Whenever someone has time to look at it, it is not a pressing matter.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.