Adding jumpers to PCB layout

Do I have to add zero ohm resistors to the schematic if I want to add jumpers to a PCB layout. Or is there an easier way?

There are jumpers in the symbol library, both NC and NO (“Jumper”).
That’s what I’d do for a readable schematic.
PCB implementation is a different issue.

I just want to add pads for jumper wires to avoid a double side PCB.

In that case, 0-ohm resistors is the way to go.

I was hoping to avoid that. Thank you.

ksnip_20221030-120632
Three zero ohm resistors I just created in the footprint editor.
Place two pads with graphic line between them. I hid the Ref. and Value.
Even looks like a jumper :slightly_smiling_face:

Do the same in symbol editor but use two pins with a graphic line between them.

Edit.Here is a symbol

ksnip_20221030-122039

1 Like

If you’re home-etching single layer PCB’s, you can draw a double sided PCB in KiCad, and then solder wires into the via’s. Make sure you set up the design rules for a suitable via size. This way you do not have to modify the schematic in any way, and you can use the view of that “other layer” as a guide to where to solder the bridge wires.

Thank you jmk. I was trying to avoid adding jumpers to the schematic though I must say your jumpers would not be too intrusive,

Two 50 mil pins joined together are only half as long as the symbol shown. That symbol has a 100 mil graphic line joining two 50 mil long pins.

Doing it this way, then associating an above footprint will, as will Paulvdh’ s method, satisfy ERC.

Yes, I am trying to use vias but the router will not let me connect them. I made a link between two vias on the backside and connected one via to a front side pad but can’t make a connection from the other via to the target front side pad. I haven’t used vias and assume I am doing something wrong.

I think your method is the right procedure if I was going to get boards fabricated by a PCB shop. I am going to try milling with CNC, failing that I will etch them myself.

What is ERC? Am I right in assuming your method requires addition to the schematic?

Any ideas why I can’t connect the via to the target pad as shown here.?

It’s OK. Just figured it out.

I’m back.
Figured out what?

ERC is Electrical Rules Checker. Using this feature will show you where drawing mistakes are in your layout according to the rules ERC runs on.
eg. an unconnected Gnd or +ve, a missing or incomplete track. etc.

Yes.
Schematic and PCB must match exactly or ERC will spit the dummy.
This means for a jumper (or zero ohm res.) placed on the PCB a symbol for that jumper needs to be placed on the schematic.

Thanks for the education. I figured out why I could not make the via connection shown in the attachment… but too embarrassed to say how I figured it out,

1 Like

Ehh, pencil too blunt???
Wrong layer??? :rofl:

I CNC Mill my PCB’s and don’t make Schematics for 50% of projects (I have hand-drawn schematics that I doodle-up over coffee).

I try to make most of my PCB’s as Single-Sided thus, I use Jumper Wires.

I made several Jumper-Wire footprints and 3D-Models. Attached below.
Edit/Hack them as needed - perhaps some will be useful as-is…

FYI - If not wanting to fuss, you can simply place “Pad’s” on a PCB (knowing you’re going to use Wire’s for connections.)

This Post/Video may be of interest…

JumperWires.zip (141.7 KB)

You can make a Symbol and attach a Footprint, if desired…

Thank you for the tips, links and video. Very helpful. Making the PCB without the schematic is a good idea, I am trying to use 1mm + tracks hoping they will be suitable for CNC milling. Never tried it before and don’t yet know how to convert the PCB layout to CNC. I use stl files with deskProto to convert design files to CNC gerber. How do you convert your PCB’s to CNC files?

1mm tracks not a problem (mine are typically 0.7mm to as large as needed for the project)

Most often, I use 0.7mm EndMill bits for tracks/pads etc (sometimes 0.6mm bits) and 1.0mm for the PCB shape and cutouts…

Converting for CNC milling:
Export Gerbers from Kicad
Load the Gerbers into CopperCam. The full package is not free but, the download is usable for small projects.

Easy and never a problem (been using CopperCam perhaps 7 yrs).

I use a larger Mill than I show in this Video but, it will convey the idea…