Adding a 3D model to all identical parts on a board

Is there a way to add a 3D model to all identical parts on a board by just doing it once or do I have to go to each one and add it manually?

Yes, by updating a footprint in the footprint editor or by creating a new footprint. The you update the footprint on your board, selecting the new name and select the all parts of that name option

1 Like

Ah, interesting. So if I am using a library footprint, is it ok to add the 3d model to it, or. should I make a copy and then add the 3d model and use the copy in my designs?

Modifying a footprint from the official library can be done but the changes will be overwritten when the library is updated in the future.

I always work with my own libraries even if they are copies of the official ones.

3 Likes

I think this mentioned by pedro is the best solution. At the exact moment you need to modify a footprint it’s good to spend some time thinking if it’s a unique situation and easy to repeat - in case you will update the footprint from the library and have to redo the changes afterwards - or should you add the modified footprint into your personal library or maybe into a project specific library (or both) for further reuse.

If you already have the footprint which doesn’t have 3D file information in your own library, you can of course just change that library footprint and then update the corresponding board footprints. But changing the official KiCad libraries (or other libraries which will be updated later from an outside source) isn’t recommended.

1 Like

Just to clarify: when you open the Footprint Editor and edit a footprint, saving to the project’s local library is just a menu option away. It’s very easy to do. After you’ve done that, you re-enter the footprint association dialog and change the items on the board to use the local footprint and you’re all set.

1 Like

You can not only save to a project local lib but can also use your own personal global library. (Might be preferable to users who want to reuse such an asset later on.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.