Added new pin to DB9 / Will not connect

I have added a pin to my DB9 connector to represent the mounting pins. I would like to connect one as earth/chassis ground. I have placed an earth ground and attempted to connect the new pin to it by a wire. I get the square around the en point of the pin meaning “not connected”. Has anyone encountered a similar problem Please advise on a fix.

The most common problem in such cases is the use of a wrong grid. Either when creating the wires or placing the symbol in eeschem. Or when designing the symbol.
Make sure you use a coarse grid in both cases.

I normally use 100mil grid for creating symbols (or at least for placing pins)
And 50mil grid in eeschema.

If this is not the problem we might need at least a screenshot of the problematic area and some information about what kicad version you are using.

1 Like

I will try to adjust the grid. I am extremely new to KiCad. How do I adjust the grid coarseness?

In eeschem and in the symbol editor:
right-click->grid
(you might need to right-click on a grid point.)

Another option:
Menu entry preferences->(schematic/component) editor options
For the eeschema make sure you are on the tap display (The first one)
In the symbol editor this dialog has only one tap.

1 Like

I have attempted your fix and now I am incurring a different issue with the component. I cannot import the component that I modified. I get a visual o f it from the component library but when I import it, the component looks different (not the one I made). I open the library editor. I modify my part and then save it. I close the library editor. In schematic I pull in what appears to be the new part in the quick view window. However, when I place the component the new pin is not present. Please advise.

Did you press the “save component to disk button”?

Also close eeschema and reopen it.
You should get a rescue component dialog.
Deselect the component you want to update. (As far as i know, everything that is selected in this dialog will be copied from the current cache lib into a rescue lib. This is for the case where you changed a symbol but do not want an old project of yours to change. Yes this is unintuitive. Future versions of kicad will change this behavior.)

Here is screen shot:
[X]

When I import this part pin 0 (the modification addition) is not present.

I think to posting pictures via mail does not work.
Either put the screenshot somewhere into the cloud and link it or log in to the forum via a webbrowser and drag the screenshot into the reply box. (Also: new users can only post one picture per reply. If you need more, simply make multiple replies.)

Something else to check …

Did you create your new symbol by copying an existing symbol, adding the pin and then saving it in a different library? If so, did you change the name of the new symbol or keep it the same as the original?

If two symbols in different libraries in the library list (Preferences - Component Libraries) have the same name, Eeschema always chooses the one that is higher up the list, despite what it shows in preview. You would need either to change the symbol name or move your custom library up the order using the Up button (see image).

Note: I have very few libraries in my installation of KiCad - you will probably have many more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had previously saved it to disk. The part did not import until I saved and exited and then reopened. However, the connection issue persists.

[X]

Again: could you post a screenshot of the affected area?