Add default symbol field

Hi,

In the symbol properties in the symbol editor there are 4 default fields (Reference, Value, Footprint, Datasheet).
Is there a way to add additional default fields, so when creating new symbols the fields already exist and so the don’t forget to be filled out.

Maybe setting for each field a property to make them required when saving a new symbol, so the designer has to fill out these fields.

Application: LibEdit
Version: (5.1.6)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Cheers

You will have to make a new symbol with these fields already in it

@name_name i think you misunderstood the question :wink: OP asks if there is a way such that a new symbol has them in at the get go.

@Muz I am not aware of such a feature at least not in stable.

1 Like

In 5.99 (the development version leading to 6.0) it’s possible to add fields in eeschema (not in the symbol editor):

Each symbol in a schematic gets that field.

And there’s project specific field, too:

2 Likes

Field name templates have been possible since at least v4.7

I got to know them from this tutorial and I use them since then:

or did I misunderstand something ?

3 Likes

In the most time in the eeschema it is fine thank you!

I found myself that after creating some beginning symbols I never create a new symbol but always start from copying one of previously defined.
I have added to some symbols the field “Installed” with the value of “NU” just to not get it in BOM (standard KiCad BOM generators use that field).
When I start the new symbol by copying the “closest to it old one” I have the filed and with right value automatically.

I have never got this to work in ver 5.x symbol editor. I can define the additional fields in the symbol editor as in the screen shot, but when I create a new symbol those fields are not included. I believe it worked in ver. 4 and we had a discussion, perhaps even a bug report back then during the transition to ver. 5, but I cannot recall what came out of it.

I do see that those fields are added in the schematic editor, but adding them in the schematic editor is not a strategy that works well when working with fully specified library symbols that are to include all ordering information for the BOMs in standardized custom fields.

So I use the strategy of copying from an existing symbol, or one can also add fields to an existing symbol and then copy and paste the field contents from another symbol. Again it is beyond me why those defined default custom fields cannot be introduced already when defining a symbol.

Application: LibEdit
Version: (5.1.6-43-gee96937fd)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.