Aaarrgghh where is kikit?

Hi I have used kicad for years really good and I am well pleased with it BUT !
I recently updated to Kicad 6

Application: KiCad (64-bit)
Version: (6.0.4), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.78.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11
Platform: Windows 10 (build 19043), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
Date: Mar 18 2022 03:04:44
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.76.0
OCC: 7.6.0
Curl: 7.78.0-DEV
ngspice: 36
Compiler: Visual C++ 1928 without C++ ABI
Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

My First task was to install the kikit plugin - I went to the PCM and added the libraries and plugin and it says installed but whenever I …tools>External Plugins/Refresh Plugins there is nothing there plus my existing plugins have dissapeared.

I checked kikit with

c:\Program Files\KiCad\6.0>kikit --help
Usage: kikit [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS]…
Options:
–version Show the version and exit.
–help Show this message and exit.
Commands:
drc Validate design rules of the board
export Export KiCAD boards
fab Export complete manufacturing data for given fabrication houses
modify Modify board items
panelize Panelize boards
present Prepare board presentation
separate Separate a single board out of a multi-board design.
stencil Create solder paste stencils

I assumed it was a path isue and found kicad Plugins directory is C:\Users*\Documents\kicad\6.0\scripting\plugins
but I assume the plugin is actually
C:\Users*
\Documents\kicad\6.0\3rdparty\plugins\com_github_yaqwsx_kikit

now I am completely lost
How do I get the plugins to work and has there been a plugin location change in the new version??
Have I got the right directories ? and if no, how do I change this ?
its driving me mad

thanks diecastarama

For v6 old plugin folders still work but new ones are added and recommended.

C:\Users\user\Documents\kicad\6.0\scripting\plugins ← is for manually installed plugins

C:\Users\user\Documents\kicad\6.0\3rdparty\plugins ← is for plugins installed through kicad’s plugin manager, don’t change anything here unless you know what you are doing.

When you say your existing plugins disappeared, if they were for kicad 5.1 there is a good chance they will not work on v6, you need to check if they have up to date versions.

In PreferencesAction plugins a yellow warning sign button will appear if there is a problem loading plugins. Click that and copy paste the text here.

thanks quick
Using PCM I installed InteractiveHtmlBom and that shows up in External Plugins

PCM says kikit is installed but does not show up in External Plugins and gives me no clue as to why
If I do tools - external plugins - Open Plugin Directory I get a blank folder
C:\Users***\Documents\kicad\6.0\scripting\plugins

If I check C:\Users***\Documents\kicad\6.0\3rdparty\plugins
I get com_github_yaqwsx_kikit and org_openscopeproject_InteractiveHtmlBom folders but only the …HtmlBom shows in External Plugins Why ??? am I missing something ??

I already gave you steps to troubleshoot. I don’t think you are missing something but I need more info to help you.

sorry forgot to add
in Preferences - Action Plugins it shows
InteractiveHtmlBom nothing else and no yellow warning sign
thanks diecastarama

Can you post screenshot of PreferencesAction plugins and also screenshot of Documents\kicad\6.0\3rdparty\plugins\com_github_yaqwsx_kikit contents

never done this before hope it works - here is
Documents\kicad\6.0\3rdparty\plugins\com_github_yaqwsx_kikit contents’

I dont know if this is related but I also upgraded python at the same time as upgrading kicad

@yaqwsx you have a bug in backend detection window popup

dialog.Show()
    dialog.Destroy()

Show() doesnt block so your window is instantly destroyed. Use ShowModal().

@roy_fletcher the bug in the plugin causes the window that is supposed to tell you that you didn’t install kikit backend properly not show. All you have to do is just install kikit in pip.
For that open “Kicad command prompt” from start menu and type in following command:
pip install kikit
Restart kicad and the plugin should work.

@qu1ck: Thanks for mentioning me. This is indeed on the path that I don’t test very often so I missed that. I made a release fixing this, and now it waits for approval. I have also opened a feature request as I think that silently ignoring errors in plugins is confusing ([Feature request] Report errors when loading Python plugins (#11359) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab)

@roy_fletcher: Once there will be version 1.0.5 in the PCM, please, update and the problem shouldn’t occur anymore. Also, first installing the KiKit backend will resolve the issue immediately.

thanks so much - it was driving me mad but should have realised ‘read the script’ it was telling me there was an issue.
Just did the install and everything is now working as it should - thanks again roy :slight_smile:

Problem is your plugin didn’t throw any errors. And Roy’s other plugins did work, you can see ibom on the screenshot.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.