7805 madness - Any ideas?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction here! I have a completed schematic using a standard LM7805 voltage regulator that I have modified and saved to a local library. This issue is I keep getting an error in Pcbnew stating:

Error: Component ‘U1’ pad ‘VI’ not found in footprint ‘My_Regulators:LM7805’
Error: Component ‘U1’ pad ‘VO’ not found in footprint ‘My_Regulators:LM7805’

I have modified the pin names in the local library and made them visible. When I select the component from my local library the new pin names/numbers are displayed. When I add it to the schematic, they revert back to the default - VI, GND and VO which is causing the issue within pcbnew. This seems like a bug in the system.

Any ideas? I’m losing clumps of hair here!!

Jim

Make sure your local library is at the top of the list of libraries that eeschema reads. It’s picking up 7805 from another library at the moment.

1 Like

Anool,

Thank you! I should have remembered that. I read about that issue not long ago and just didn’t put it together.

Thanks again!

Jim

Hm… you didn’t adhere to the standard that everybody else is using (especially the manufacturers of those ICs) and used plain numbers 1,2,3… (or for BGAs A1,A2,A3…) for your LM7805 symbol.
I guess you used VI and VO for voltage input and output respectively… this is not how this is supposed to work.
If you want/need this kind of information on a symbol use the name field, not the pin number as otherwise you end up with proprietary footprints for each of your symbols…

Keep on reading here:

This unfortunately was the way the library was set up. The pin names for the schematic symbol were hidden. I saved both the footprint and schematic symbols to local folders, changed the pin names to match 1,2,3 respectively but still continue to have a mismatch error. I suspect this is due to the fact my library files were lower on the list in the library tables.

I will work on it some more today. Thank you for your help…

Jim

The 7805 library under regur have this VI, VO and GND labels…

Can someone pls removed it from future library releases… it took me many searches to reach this post and replaced it with a numbered pins…

*** A very very new KiCAD user …

Create GitHub account, fork KiCad/kicad-library repository, remove these stupid symbols, prepare a merge request and wait “a moment” for review by any library maintainer. That’s it.

Thanks for the tips on updating the libs, I would love to and like contributing to the community …

… but would you “trust” a 2 days ago KiCAD user with a merge request that I hv not even figure out on how to install a local lib ??

Anyway, I’ve looked at the raw codes at https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/blob/master/library/regul.lib
and someone just need to change line 14-16 and 48-50 2nd value of VI to 1, VO to 2 and GND to 3 :-

X VI VI -400 50 200 R 40 40 1 1 I
X VO VO 400 50 200 L 40 40 1 1 w
X GND GND 0 -250 100 U 40 40 1 1 I

1 Like

Don’t worry. Someone will check your MR. You will be prompted to fix issues if you entered any.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ve edited the libs , tested it without errors and did a Pull Request back to the main repo …

Also fresh to Kicad, I have spent a full day persuing the issue why 7805 doesnt work. Slowly realizing it wasnt me doing wrong. Found a thread from 2014 that had been closed as issue for the community… So Im clearly sad that this hasnt been fixed in the distribution.Now Im only to fight out the mods you are suggesting and see if I fix that in reasonable amount of time.

when i asked for clarification you did not respond so could you please clarify your problem either here or in the github issue?

What OS and KiCad version?
I can confirm 4.0.7 on Ubuntu has 3 versions of 7805, all with the correct 1-2-3 pin numbering

it is 4.0.6 on windows (64 / w10) /g

(actually having come this far it is not a big deal, actually it was kind of a usefull “lesson” on the learning curve to sort it out :slight_smile: )

( having much worse problems now,having crashed the relation between the net and the pcb, and where the pcb has eaten so much effort, and become what I at least think, quite ok, that I would like to keep it. the pcbnew makes a large white spagetti trying to load the netlist… :frowning: )

Backup your work and upgrade to 4.0.7 asap. The libraries have been reworked a lot and you have ended up with a mixture of old and new